This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine & WinVN Newsreader

I wanted to comment on the subject. WinVN has, for ten years, been my one and only newsreader (Usenet)
    I rebuilt an old system and decided to use first Ubuntu and then Kubuntu. The only problem was I missed WinVN and there is no decent newsreader for Linux.
    Today, I did a search on "Wine" and found an excellent response with very detailed instructions on how to get the repos and install Wine. I decided to try and run WinVN under Wine. VIOLA !!! It works PERFECTLY.
    Bottom line - Ain't got no use for Windoze anymore.
    Thanks to the developers and all who support the Linux/Ubuntu, etc project through this forum.

Re: Wine & WinVN Newsreader

Good to hear it works, although WinVN is quite old, so would be expected to work on Wine.
    But do you really like none of the native (and much more up-to-date) Linux newsreaders? KNode is good, as is Pan.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
    X