This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz 7.10

Hi, I'm trying to get Compiz Fusion running on a new Kubuntu 7.10 install. So far I've got 2 questions. First, when I type compiz in terminal I get this output:

flexner@ubuntu:~$ compiz
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 10de:0193 (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
    Checking for non power of two support: present.
    Checking for Composite extension: present.
    Comparing resolution (1680x1050) to maximum 3D texture size (8192): Passed.
    Checking for nVidia: present.
    Checking for FBConfig: present.
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Starting emerald
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format

Am I missing something? Is that 'Warn: ...' a problem I should be concerned with? I followed some instructions I found in another thread with similar, but not quite the same, problems. I'll edit this post and link that thread.

Second, how do I set keybinds in CCSM?

Thanks in advance!

edit/ http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088465.0 - This is the thread I mentioned above.

Re: Compiz 7.10

You don't have the necessary nvidia-glx driver installed. Not sure if you need nvidia-glx, nvidia-glx-legacy, or nvidia-glx-new. Watch for a reply from dibl - he uses nVidia cards I believe.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It sounds like GLX isn't quite right. I don't know which Nvidia card or driver you have installed, but usually you can set it up for glx and compositing with this command in a Konsole window:

Code:
      sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
      This will overwrite your xorg.conf file to insert some options that you need. To enable the new configuration, you have to do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart the X server and log back in. You should see the Nvidia splash prior to your login GUI.

If you are not pleased with the screen resolution when you log back in, do Alt-F2 and enter "kdesu nvidia-settings" to run the settings utility in Super User mode. On the "Configure X Server" screen, click "detect display", then set your resolution as you want it, leave refresh on "auto", click "apply" to make sure it looks right, then click "Save to X Configuration File" in the lower right corner.

Now you should be able to open the Konsole and enter "glxgears" and have the gears graphic run. If that's good, and assuming you have installed the "emerald" and "emerald themes" packages, in a Konsole window enter
      Code:
      emerald --replace
      If it replaces the window borders, or even if it doesn't and you have to Ctrl-C to stop it, go ahead and enter
      Code:
      compiz
      If compiz runs, as verified by doing Ctrl-right arrow and observing the desktop rotate, then DON'T CLOSE THE KONSOLE, just minimize it, close everything else you have running, and restart your system. It should come up with compiz running, and an open Konsole window that you can close.

I'll cross my fingers.

EDIT: Snowhog has beat me for the 100th time!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        EDIT: Snowhog has beat me for the 100th time!
        When it's 30 below (as it was when I got up this morning) you've got to be fast to stay warm!

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies! It seems to have worked like a charm, dibl. After the restart compiz loaded and I had an empty Konsole to close. Thanks again! For the record, I am running an NVIDIA 8800GTS 640MB with the 169.09 drivers installed accord to System>Nvidia Settings.

But, this still leaves me confused about how I get Cube working. I also seem to be limited to only 2 desktop screens even though I have it set to 4 and it shows 4 on the tray? It is only letting me cycle through 1 and 2.

Again, much thanks for the speedy replies!

Comment

If all is as it should be....

K Menu | Settings | Advanced Desktop Effects Settings

Click on General Options | Desktop Size
            Set Horizontal Virtual Size to 4
            Set Virtical Virtual Size to 1
            Set Number of Desktops to 1

Click the Back button

Check the following options:
            Desktop Cube
            Expo
            Rotate Cube
            Animations
            Cube Reflection
            Fading Windows
            Window Decoration
            JPEG
            Png
            Svg
            Text
            Regex matching
            Resize info
            Video Playback
            Workarounds
            Application Switcher
            Move Window
            Place Windows
            Scale
            Snapping Windows
            Resize Window

Have fun!

Comment

You guys are brilliant! Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

Does this mean that you have your Cube and all it's glory??

Comment

Yes, sir, it does.

Comment

Cool! 8)

Comment

Working...
                    X