Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special characters, there must be a better way to write portuguese!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special characters, there must be a better way to write portuguese!

If you there has been less questions from my side on the syntax of shell scripts and such involved in the kubuntu installation it is because I have to (for professional reasons) spend more time rehearsing the syntax of portuguese .

I am using my kubuntu computer to do all the homework and such. However there is one thing that annoys me: I cannot easily get to type the cê-cedilha (c cedilla) character, the c with a hook that looks like this: ç

It is used to indicate a special way of pronouncing the c more like an s:
    Code:
    informaçao = ĩfoxma'sãw
    This character is frequently used not only in portuguese but also in french, but it is a lot of work for me to enter it when I write on my computer. In OpenOffice, there is an insert.. special character, which is comprehensive but not really quick to use when you are entering a character quite often. What I would prefer was a key combination that would lead me to typing the ç quickly and then get on with my work. In time I should be able to do this pretty much automatically, I am on my way to getting there with all the other special characters that I need to type, like ã í ê, et cetera...

It should be possible to configure this iin KDE/kubuntu? Maybe it already is configured, but I just don't know how/where to find it? Please help!

Re: Special characters, there must be a better way to write portuguese!

I have no idea whether it will work in OOO, but in KDE you can simply choose a Portuguese keyboard layout.

Alt-F2, "kcontrol" then in the left-side window click "Regional & Accessibllity", then "Keyboard Layouts", put an "x" in the box that says "enable keyboard layouts" then highlight the Portuguese line in the list of countries, and click "Add >>" and it will be an available layout. You will see the flag of your native country on the panel, and if you click that once, it will change to the Portuguese flag, indicating your keyboard is now in Portuguese mode. Now all you have to do is find where that character lives on a Portuguese keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Now all you have to do is find where that character lives on a Portuguese keyboard.
      Ask and receive: Portuguese keyboard layout
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you for quick replies!
        BUT...i didn't buy a portuguese keyboard just for learning portuguese...I've got a norwegian keyboard. That language needs some special stuff aswell (such as æøå). The only special character commonly used in portuguese which is not available on this keyboard seems to be the cê-cedilha (c cedilla) character: ç

The solution that would beat all other would be if I could assign ç to shift-altgr-c or altgr-c, keycombination which currently yields the near-useless sign © that I never use. (If I publish a masterpiece I will need the creative commons logo instead )

Comment

Read through this post: Cedilla with dead keys It's old (2005) but it does address your problem and an apparently working solution.

Comment

In openoffice, you can make a macro to do this. Tools > Macros > Record macro. Then insert a cedilla (make sure you do ONLY that, not any cursor movement!), then click 'Stop Recording'.

To assign it to a keypress, go to Tools > Customise. Select "Keyboard", then find your macro under "Functions > Category". Select the macro under "Function", select the keyboard shortcut under "Shortcut keys" (choose a blank one) and click Modify.
            I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Read through this post: Cedilla with dead keys It's old (2005) but it does address your problem and an apparently working solution.
              I found that thread confusing, I tried to follow the instructions although they are not KDE related I looked for the equivalent in our system setting and I think I dead keys are default in Kubuntu (at least with a 105-international keyboard with norwegian keymap configuration.) I can use accent marks as much as I like to, it is just that they havent configured the cedilla.

I guess what I am looking for must be a modification for the keymap itself (I can't understand why altgr+c gives © and and altgr+shift + c gives ©, exactly the same). One of those should be able to hold the ç character instead.

Cantab: the macro solution works in openoffice thanks for the workaround. I am looking for the permanent solution, though.

Comment

It should be possible - in Wikipedia I found this:

Ubuntu, a Linux distribution, has an option for a user-chosen 'compose' key available through its keyboard settings, offering the user a wide variety of different diacritics based on what is typed. For instance, pressing Compose / l easily produces the ł character. The user can edit the text file to produce whatever diacritics they desire based on the key combination used.
                How to do it - well I guess it is like this: (Some commands in Norwegian + my guess at English)

System Settings -> Regional & Language -> Tastaturoppsett (Keyboard setup). Choose the right tab Xkb-valg, and -> Slå på skb-valg (Activate Xkb ...)

In the list there is Compose key position - choose one of the alternatives.

Now, go to - Overview - Keyboard & Mouse - Hurtigtaster (2. from top)

If I am right, at the bottom of the page you will find three options for choosing your own options here.

(I may be wrong, but it may be worth a try.)

Comment

A simple solution:

Open kcontrol (Alt+F2 and type kcontrol)
                  Click on Regional & Accessibility
                  Click on Keyboard Layout
                  Click the Xkb Options tab
                  Check the Enable xkb options box
                  Scroll down the list and check the Compose Key Position box
                  Select the key you want to be used as the Compose key by unselecting the rest
                  Click Apply
                  Press Ctrl+Alt+BkSp to restart

You now can type your cedillia accented letters by pressing together, the Compose key and the modifier, releasing both keys and then typing the letter. I set my Windows key to be the Compose key:

Winkey-, + c = ç
                  Winkey-, + C = Ç
                  Winkey-' + A = Á
                  Winkey-' + a = á
                  Winkey-` + E = È
                  Winkey-` + e = è
                  Winkey-^ + o = ô
                  Winkey-^ + O = Ô
                  Winkey-" + u = ü
                  Winkey-" + U = Ü
                  Winkey-s + s = ß

Comment

A late remark and it might not work on your Norwegian keyboard but it does on US Intl;
                    AltGr + , makes ç , when you add the Shift it becomes Ç .

Comment

Working...
                    X