This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7.04 to 7.10 problems

I am typing this from my Kubuntu desktop. When I did the forced apt-get reinstall it ran for a bit and then failed with a message to try apt-get -f install (or something close to that.) I ran that and it seemed to process with no problem. So, I tried a reboot and here I am. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I really appreciate your sticking with me on this.

Now I am faced with a screen that is asking me to enter the su passworld to run the command dist-upgrade.py 'session' . I am kind of afraid to do anything that might jeopardize what I have now. What do you suggest?

Comment

Close the screen! Perform another shutdown / restart. If you are presented with the screen again, just close it. Then report back.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok, the screen did not come up that time. It appears that all is well. I think I will wait a while before attempting an upgrade again. LOL. Thanks so much for your help. Without it I would have given up by now. I don't think I can convey in words my sincere appreciation.

Bob

ps. I am faced with an Adept message saying that a new distribution is available! Click yes if you wish to upgrade now. I think this is where I came in. LOL

Comment

You are more than welcome. As I said, you gotta love a challenge!

You should read Upgrading from 7.04 (Feisty)
          I'd print it out, and maybe also the screen shots. This guide works! You just have to follow the instructions to the letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            You are more than welcome. As I said, you gotta love a challenge!

You should read Upgrading from 7.04 (Feisty)
            I'd print it out, and maybe also the screen shots. This guide works! You just have to follow the instructions to the letter.
            I do enjoy a challenge as long as there is a more experienced person around to bail me out if I get in trouble. This was a good experience. I learned that the desktop is recoverable and some steps to try. I will follow the link to the upgrade site and do as you suggest before trying it again. Right now my system is running quite nicely thanks to you so I will study the guide a bit before attempting again.

Once again, my sincere thanks and appreciation.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rbrown3rd
              ps. I am faced with an Adept message saying that a new distribution is available! Click yes if you wish to upgrade now. I think this is where I came in. LOL
              Just close it.

Comment

Originally posted by rbrown3rd
                Once again, my sincere thanks and appreciation.

Bob
                Glad to have been here to aid and assist you. The opportunity is thanks enough.

Paul

Comment

Very good! Well done Snowhog!
                  "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                  "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                  X