This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub hacking for Windows--(Solved)--

My boot from windows option in grub stopped working and im trying to set it up again with qtgrudeditor. Heres what i got so far:

http://www.imagehost.ro/viewer.php?i...347a46b6f6ec0a

Im totally lost on this. I have 2 drives. First one is entirely for kubuntu (/ and home) and the second drive is seperated into Windows and Back-up. So im guessing the kubuntu drive would be (hd0,0) and windows would be (hd1,0) right?

Any advise would be very helpful. Im just tired of changing the drive boot order every time i need to get to Windows.
    Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Re: Grub hacking for Windows

I can't tell what the heck you are doing there! Are you using the Windows bootloader to boot Kubuntu? If so, I've not done that and can't help (but I have references on it). So Stop reading now (and check the website of that graphical NTLDR bootloader).
    If not, continue reading:

If you are using GRUB installed from Kubuntu to the MBR of the BIOS first-boot drive, then this is very easy to do. The drive that is set in BIOS to be the boot drive is always seen as hd0 from the point of view of the menu.lst used to boot the OSs. So, if BIOS boots from the Windows drive, the Windows drive is seen as hd0; if BIOS is set to boot from the Kubuntu drive, then the Kubuntu drive is seen as hd0. In the latter case, Windows then would be on a non-first hard drive, hd1, and you need a special boot entry for Windows:

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    (And if Windows is on a non-first drive, see: Install Windows XP *after* Kubuntu, and install XP to a non-first hard drive: map command Reply #12)

I've not used the GUI's for bootloaders, but they seem to make all this more complicated.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Lol im confusing myself too. Im trying to boot windows which is the second drive using grub on my first drive (kubuntu).

I read the post and got it configured correctly and it boots but stays on "Starting Up":

title Windows NT/2000/XP (loader)
      root (hd1,0)
      rootnoverify (hd1,0)
      chainloader +1
      savedefault
      makeactive

Comment

just jumping right into this w/o reading everything...
        If Windows is on the second hard drive, you need the map dance to fool it into thinking it is on the first hard drive:

title Windows NT/2000/XP (loader)
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        chainloader +1

That should do it.
        (spaces between everything: after map and between the (hd1) & (hd0), after chainloader, etc.)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Awesome thanks Mike. It works now.

Comment

Re: Grub hacking for Windows--(Solved)--

Good job there on your end!
            Up and running now into Kubuntu land ...

--Mike

Comment

Working...
            X