This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about 64 bit version

I was thinking about trying out the 64bit version seeing that I have a 64 bit CPU and heard that the system is more responsive than its 32bit counterpart.

However, I have some questions...

1. I play allot of games - Native (ET:QW, ET, UT20004, X-Plane etc...etc...) and some non native ones with Wine (World of Warcraft, Steam games, etc...etc...).

2. I use internet media allot, like flash, java, acrobat, mplayer, and some other plugins.

Basically, and the reason I went with *Ubuntu, I want a seamless transition to this. I want everything to work as it does now with 32 bits.

Is this what I am to expect, or should I wait until 64 bit Linux matures more?

Thanks for any insight you may provide!!!

Joe

Re: Questions about 64 bit version

There is a ton of discussions on this. From what I have seen though, I could be wrong, 64 bit is really only needed if you have more than 4 gig ram. Other people have posted that 32bit is just as fast and is more compatible with programs. I have a core duo and use 32 bit. I might try 64 bit next time I do a fresh install though, just to see if there are any differences. Right now I don't want the headache, from what I have dug up most every program around will work, some with workarounds.

Comment

Working...
    X