Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What version of the Linux kernel does it use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What version of the Linux kernel does it use?

Okay I was using virtual box and it hanged on Live CD and the bootloader didnt install when I used the alterante, I picked Unknown for the OS type as the options were Linux 2.2,2.4, and 2.6. I dont know which version of the Linux kernel (K)Ubuntu uses.

Is there a place where I can find out which version of the Linux Kernel the versions of Ubuntu use.

I am gonna use a virtual machine to put Ubuntu on my laptop. If can get it then I might try Kubuntu and Xubuntu...
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: What version of the Linux kernel does it use?

Type
    Code:
    uname -a
    at the command prompt. You should get an output like
    Code:
    Linux hostname 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Dec 18 08:02:57 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
    In this case the kernel version is 2.6.22
    Virtually all current Linux distros will use a 2.6 kernel. But for a number of things the revision (the .22) is important.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Well if you run Kubuntu 7.10 and have 2.6.22-14 then I should too.

Also, I notice you also use Pentium III. can you get virtual machines and that Dos Emulator found in Adept (I think, it's been a while...) Or the Mac OS X theme cuz they dont work and I think its cuz my PC is outdated...
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

hqxriven@hqxriven-desktop:~$ uname -a
        Linux hqxriven-desktop 2.6.23-hqx1 #1 SMP Tue Feb 5 11:21:59 BRST 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

With patches genetics, relatime (which should be at ubuntu as standard), optimization of the latency of sheduler and custom configuration for a high-performance!

Note the relatime on the partition below ...

Cat / proc / mounts
        Rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
        None / sys sysfs rw, nosuid, nodev, noexec 0 0
        None / proc proc rw, nosuid, nodev, noexec 0 0
        Udev / dev tmpfs rw, relatime 0 0
        Fusectl / sys / fs / fuse / connections fusectl rw, relatime 0 0
        / Dev/disk/by-uuid/6f25f4e9-81ce-4862-a7a7-b76469d5e303 / ext3 rw, relatime, date ordered = 0 0
        / Dev/disk/by-uuid/6f25f4e9-81ce-4862-a7a7-b76469d5e303 / dev / .static / dev ext3 rw, relatime, date ordered = 0 0
        Tmpfs / var / run tmpfs rw, nosuid, nodev, noexec, relatime 0 0
        Tmpfs / var / lock tmpfs rw, nosuid, nodev, noexec, relatime 0 0
        Tmpfs / dev / shm tmpfs rw, relatime 0 0
        Devpts / dev / pts devpts rw, relatime 0 0
        / Dev/sda5 / home ext3 rw, relatime, date ordered = 0 0
        / Dev/sda1 / media/sda1 fuseblk rw, nosuid, nodev, noatime, relatime, user_id = 0, group_id = 0, default_permissions, allow_other 0 0
        Binfmt_misc / proc / sys / fs / binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw, nosuid, nodev, noexec 0 0

Part of the config ...

# Completely Fair Scheduler Tunables
        #
        CONFIG_FAIR_DESKTOP = y
        # CONFIG_INTERACTIVE_DESKTOP is not set
        # CONFIG_HIGHLY_INTERACTIVE_DESKTOP is not set
        # CONFIG_CUSTOM_SCHED_SETUP is not set
        # CONFIG_SYSCTL_PRIVILEGED_NICE_LEVEL is not set
        CONFIG_PRIVILEGED_TASKS_NICE_LEVEL = 0
        CONFIG_SCHED_LATENCY = 15
        CONFIG_SCHED_NR_LATENCY = 20
        CONFIG_SCHED_WAKEUP_GRANULARITY = 5
        CONFIG_SCHED_BATCH_WAKEUP_GRANULARITY = 5
        CONFIG_DEFCONFIG_LIST = "/ lib / modules / $ UNAME_RELEASE / .config"

Hqx

Comment

^^

What?

Oh yeah, PS I cant get Cedaga on my PIII either, is it cuz my P3 is old or I am doing something wrong?

Comment

You should be able to download Cedega from their website. Get the version for Debian systems. I have it on mine and it works great. ~John~
            Slackware 12 - 32 bit on a ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE Motherboard w/ Pentium 4 3.6 gHz HyperThreaded CPU (OC&#39;d to 4.4 gHz) and 1066 mHz FSB, 4 GB US Modular Low Density DDR2 ram, eVGA Nvidia e-GeForce 6200 LE 512mb PCI-e x16 GFX video. Plays World of Warcraft great!<br /><br />Only Linux @ home since 1996

Comment

fwiw uname -r gives you the currently used kernel.
              <br />

Comment

So all that other text was just the other things that command outputted?

I will try it now, I decided to use VM Ware for Ubuntu... It works unlike Virtual Box (for me anyways...)

Comment

Working...
                X