This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is wrong with FOLDOC?

I have installed FOLDOC Dictionary Database but KDict shows it has only 5 headwords inside!
    The package dict-foldoc version 20070526-1 from universe/text.

Re: What is wrong with FOLDOC?

"This package will be of limited use without the server found in the dictd package."

Do you have the dictd package installed?
    Dictionary Server

dictd is a TCP based server that allows a client to access dictionary definitions from a set of natural language dictionary databases.

Many dictionary databases have been packaged for debian. They are discussed in more detail in the file /usr/share/doc/dictd/README.Debian.gz

Either dict-gcide or dict-wn is essential for a useful English language dictionary server. It is strongly recommended that both be installed. If you are interested in computer terminology, it is recommended that one or more of dict-jargon, dict-foldoc, and dict-vera also be installed.

The client program, dict, is packaged in dict*.deb If you are running a server, you will want the client for all machines in your network, and for testing server operations.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: What is wrong with FOLDOC?

Originally posted by Snowhog
      "This package will be of limited use without the server found in the dictd package."

Do you have the dictd package installed?
      Sure! wn and other dictionaries served localy perfectly even via KDict w/o internet connection.
      In correction to my previous post the package dict-foldoc not in universe but kubuntu supported in text section; but it has only 68K after install!

Comment

Working...
      X