This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Excel Macros in Open Office - See Attachment

The attached Excel file is a list of Latitude and Longitude Coordinates for various locations. The spread sheet contains a macro that is supposed to convert these location points to Google Earth's KML file format so that each location can be plotted in Google Earth. Pretty handy - but I can not get Open Office to run the macro.

Would someone mind giving this a try and teaching me how run this macro in Open Office? You'll need to rename the file extension back to ".xls". I had to rename it to upload it to this forum.

Thanks a ton!

M
    Attached Files
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: Running Excel Macros in Open Office - See Attachment

I don't believe you are going to be able to get Open Office Calc to run any M$ Excel macros:
    Are there any tools to convert or import Excel macros into OpenOffice? If so, which ones would you recommend using?

QUESTION POSED ON: 17 JUN 2005
    QUESTION ANSWERED BY: Mark Hinkle

Microsoft Excel macros are written in Visual Basic or for older versions of Excel the Excel macro language. Macros in OpenOffice.org Calc are written in a different scripting language so there is no easy way to import or convert the macros.
    Open Office Calc does support macro add-ons, some of which you can find here. You may gain some useful insight on how macros work in Open Office Calc by reviewing some of these. That may lead to you writing your own for what you need to accomplish.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

As far as I can tell OpenOffice.org Basic may be similar enough to VBA to allow macros to run. You have to set the macro security in openoffice (Tools > Options > Security > Macro Security > Medium) then reload.

I expect you'll need to do some porting though. The first issue I've come across is with 'lines' of code that continue across more than one line, especially when it's comments.
      I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Oh crap. Macro programmer I am not. Well, I'll keep looking around for an alternative.

Thanks for the input.

M
        sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Working...
        X