This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox dies while trying to run

It seems to have started at the time when I installed KDE 4, but that is only my senile memory saying so -- maybe it was not at that moment.

I launch Firefox, and then it hesitates, and then it turns gray. Maybe it gets its color back if I wait 2 or 3 minutes, but then it turns gray again and won't respond. Strange!

Is anyone else seeing this weird behavior?

Konqueror seems to behave reasonably well -- that's what I using at this moment. Of course it doesn't seem to want to import my Firefox bookmarks, so there's another issue .... :P :P

Re: Firefox dies while trying to run

I don't have that particular problem. I have had other mysterious problems and they did all appear after installing KDE4. I use KDE3.5.8 mainly anyway, KDE4 was for testing and "getting use to" the new, but they do seem to trip over one another some. Not completely isolated from one another, although I do know that isn't an easy task to do anyway, I expected some issues. If I see anything around about your case, I'll let you know.

Comment

Here is one thing. They mention IPv6 in about:config and certain plug-ins. Worth a read any way.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-584954.html

Comment

Interesting -- I'll have to try disabling IPv6. Thanks Moon!

Comment

This as well at bug report. One mention is the recent updates.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/172419

Comment

Any success?

Comment

Do you get anything useful if you run firefox from a terminal?
              I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

SOLVED: Firefox dies while trying to run

Mehh -- I've been up to my neck in other alligators (unrelated to Linux). I'll give this a shot tonight and see if disabling IPv6 fixes it.

EDIT: Yay, the answer is found down the thread at
                http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-584954.html

as kindly provided by Moonrise. Thanks Moon!

Disabling IPv6 is a waste of time -- doesn't help at all. However, deleting the file "npwrapper.libflashplayer.so" in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins appears to be the solution to this annoying little phenomenon.

So, spread the word -- nuke that file and Firefox is baaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Comment

Maybe they're old alligators and they lost their teeth!

Comment

Crap, and Double-Crap!

Between bites of Crow Pie ..... it didn't work after all. Well, it worked once, I guess. I just now waited over a minute for Firefox to come back from the dead.

:P

Only Iceape seems to run correctly. I'm disinclined to spend a bunch of time fooling with it because I intend to install HH Alpha 4 this weekend anyway, and build it all from there.

Drat, I hate it when a solution comes unstuck!

Comment

Working...
                    X