This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy/Paste problems

I'm using GG as my primary desktop now, and am constantly plagued with inconsistent copy/paste behavior. Usually, it doesn't work at all, sometime it does.

Here is what I can easily reproduce:

- Copy text in thunderbird and paste it into a new message - nothing, the paste option is greyed out. ^v doesn't work either.
    - Same for text copied out of firefox and pasting into thunderbird.
    - The above also fails pasting into kate
    - Copy/paste from OOffice writer - no go here either

These are just a few examples. It is hugely frustrating! Any ideas?

Re: Copy/Paste problems

KDE 3.5.8 or KDE 4?

Comment

3.5.8. Here's the thing - I have another install of GG, also 3.5.8, and there is no problem. The one with theproblem is a new install - 2 weeks old.

Comment

Are you using keyboard shortcut for pasting? If so which key combo?

I've found out that in some programs Ctr-v doesn't seem to work all the time, but Shift-Insert always works.
        (Annoys me though....)

Hope this helps.

Comment

I've tried using both keyboard shortcuts (^c and ^v), and the right-click menu techniques. Neither works. The thing is, both approaches work on other computers running the same software. Have not tried your method.

Comment

I'm still having the problem. Here is some more detail:

If I copy something from firefox and try to paste it into konsole (e.g. a url to test with wget). Nothing happens most of the time. I close firefox, try again, nothing happens. I start firefox again, and voila! I get the text I originally copied!

Thunderbird is so bad that I can't even copy from one email and paste into a new one.

Is this likely a mozilla issue?

Comment

SOLVED - Re: Copy/Paste problems

After much frustration, I figured out what the problem is. I use krdc very frequently - basically have it open all the time. I was able to determine that when I close my krdc sessions (RDP based, didn't test VNC), my clipboard began behaving properly. I tested rdesktop as well, and it had the same problem, until I disabled the clipboard like so:

rdesktop -r clipboardff <host>

I don't know why it only happens on this particular PC. Possibly a tie in with the x11 driver (FGLRX) and the underlying hardware?

Comment

Working...
              X