This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox & Quicktime

What, exactly, is the problem with Firefox & Quicktime? I see reports gong back many, many months, but I find neither fixes nor work-arounds. Which package is broken; FF? Mplayer? Is there a reason this hasn't been fixed in all these months? I'm not seeing this in any other Debian-based distros.

My very limited 'buntu experience seems to indicate much new development, but very little bug-fixing; is this a correct interpretation?

Thanks,

Lance

Re: Firefox & Quicktime

No, I don't agree. There is a vibrant community who is generally willing to help with bug fixing. Not a good idea to be negative about them.
    I have Quicktime working in Firefox.

Comment

How did you get Quick time to work under Firefox. It would be nice to know.

pookito
      You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
      Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
      Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

Hi,
        What is the URL of the site that contains the Quicktime files that you are trying to play? I will then go to the site and try to play them as well. Thereafter, I will tell you how my installed software plays these files.

Comment

The best known & run quicktime site is the apple trailers site. Here's one:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...l_trailer.html

Comment

I have a fresh install of Gutsy. This came with the Totem Web Browser Plugin 2.20.0 and the QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0
            The file name of this Quicktime plugin is: libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
            The Totem 2.20.0 plugin handles the following video and audio streams:

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
            video/quicktime QT video mov Yes
            video/mp4 MPEG-4 video mp4 Yes
            image/x-macpaint MacPaint Bitmap image pntg Yes
            image/x-quicktime Macintosh Quickdraw/PICT drawing pict, pict1, pict2 Yes
            video/x-m4v MPEG-4 video m4v Yes

The site you mentioned plays in my firefox.
            Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by LanceHaverkamp
              The best known & run quicktime site is the apple trailers site. Here's one:
              http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...l_trailer.html
              The Site that you mentioned plays on my konqueror browser. Thanks for the help, I just wanted to know that I could play quick time files too.
              You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
              Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
              Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

With a great deal of hunting, I'm seeing multiple reports of totem not working well with Firefox on Debain based distros (including 'buntu). Problems ranged from not playing--like I'm seeing, to strange, random browser crashes. As suggested by a Debian user I uninstalled totem & reinstalled mozilla-mplayer. Problem solved!

P.S. Yes, totem seems to work fine with konqueror, but for those of us who are heavy extension users, konqueror is not a good option.

Thanks,
                Lance

Comment

I run the Gutsy release of Kubuntu on an amd64 machine. I have firefox installed (via adept) and I just installed the totem-mozilla package (also via adept) and quicktime seems to be working in Firefox just fine. The URLs above, plus others seem to be just fine.

Comment

You mention that you are a user of extensions, so I thought you might be interested in one that works quite well for Quicktime files (including the link you gave). Get MediaPlayerConnectivity. It allows you to set your Firefox to launch specific programs when it encounters multimedia links. For example, I have mine set to launch SMplayer (you could use mplayer, kmplayer, as well, of course) when it encounters a Quicktime link.

The "disadvantage," I suppose, is that it requires an extra mouse click. But the advantage is that it gives you significant control over the multimedia links (they can be downloaded, you can change the programs used to launch, etc. etc. etc.)

Comment

Working...
                    X