• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox + Flash = Frozen Computer

Kubuntu 7.10
    KDE 3.5.8
    Firefox 2.0.0.11
    Flash 9

I attempted to use apt-get..but i got the typical md5sum error...and i couldn't get around that, so i downlaoded from Adobe.com 'install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz Unpacked it..ran the script....and the scripted refused to accept /usr/lib/mozilla/ as my mozilla path, i did sudo mkdir /usr/lib/mozilla....it failed because folder already exists. So i tried /home/thecrono/.mozilla it failed aswell. So i manually copied the libflashplayer.so into /usr/lib/mozilla, then i opened firefox and went to aboutlugins..everything looked fine...i went to youtube..clicked a video...the grey box appeared, when it turned black, my entier computer froze. It happened several times.

How can i fix this?

Re: Firefox + Flash = Frozen Computer

Try using '/home/username/.mozilla/plugins'. That's where the Flash installer script should have defaulted to in the first place.
    HP dv2600: Core2 @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce-M 8400SE , Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy 32-bit<br />Gateway E4000: P4 @ 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200SE, Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 32-bit<br />Averatec 2200: Turion64 @ 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 7.10 Gutsy 64-bit

Comment

Ensure that you are not using gtk-gnash flash player. I experienced problems with it. Before browsing a flash web page, type

$ top

in your console. After that, start browsing and see if gtk-gnash appears in top table. As I'm using amd64, that's the only flash player that I can use... Whenever I see a flash page and my computer freezes, I type

$ killall gtk-gnash

And It backs to life. So, if you are running gtk-gnash, I suggest to uninstall gtk-gnash mozilla plug in and use adobe flash player.

Hope it helps...

Comment

The latest version of adobe's flash player 9 (.115?) is well known to be buggy and unstable on linux. You can download a zip file full of older versions from adobe's site. If you do this and install the .48 version, you will probably solve your problems. Delete your current libflashplayer.so file first, obviously.

Comment

My method for installing flash is simply to point firefox at a site that needs flash (but not youtube as its too smart for its own good and instead of loading some flash it tells you that you don't have it, myspace sites for bands are a reliable one to use) and you will be told you are missing a plugin and if you click you can install it. Click the relevant buttons. Done.

Comment

Simpler way to get release 48:
            Re: Getting Video Plugins to work for Konqueror
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The Krono, Snowhog is right. I had the same problem with flash and he gave me the same link. It work wonders for me. Just follow it and install it and you should be fash crash free untill the new flash is perfected or Linux learns how to use it without crashing.
              You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
              Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
              Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

You need to remember to remove the r115 flashplayer plugin once you have the r48 installed, or both will be in the plugin folder and you will still have the problem.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                X