This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hangs after a nights downloading

If i leave my pc on over night to download via bittornado (im 99% sure it isnt the program thats the issue) when i return in the morning although everything has downloaded the computer is frozen.

Have turned off power management, and screen saver no dice still locks up.

Any ideas?
    Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Re: Hangs after a nights downloading

Sorry this is kinda answering with questions, but if you leave the computer on overnight without bittorrent going is it alright?

Have you tried another torrent client, like KTorrent? (I'm not endorsing it, it just comes with the standard install, so it's good comparison)

Have you looked at your syslog or bittorrnado log files to see if there is something catching?
    Also, depending on your system type, is your motherboard/BIOS powersettings overriding linux? This probably isn't the case, but it's always good to double check.
    HP dv2600: Core2 @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce-M 8400SE , Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy 32-bit<br />Gateway E4000: P4 @ 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200SE, Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 32-bit<br />Averatec 2200: Turion64 @ 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 7.10 Gutsy 64-bit

Comment

not used to just 'leaving the computer on over night' for no reason, but will give it a go.

Tried other torrent programs same issue

Power settings in bios dont seem to be affected this, as have checked/changed them too.

Logs - didnt think of that, will check

What confuses me is that fact that torrents that have finished are still 'uploading', superkaramba still running (updating showing cpu/net etc which are all within normal levels). However computer doesnt respond to mouse commands, and the only keyboard command that it accepts is cntrl_alt_del which shows the shut down screen but wont shut down or log off.

Oddness
      Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

You could open a Konsole window, run
        Code:
        and let it sit there while the bitorrent app is running. When it appears to be "locked" in the morning, you'll see the resource hog at the top of the list of running processes.

BTW, it's not actually locked, and here's the preferred method to shut down and restart (to avoid filesystem/data damage):

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088251.0

Comment

Running 'top' is a good idea. Good call, dibl.

Also, instead of using CTRL-ALT-DEL, try CTRL-ALT-Backspace, which will only reboot X Windows. If your computer is responding to the keyboard and not the mouse, it could be just X that is crashing, and not the entire system.

Don't forget to put anything you may find in your logs up too!
          HP dv2600: Core2 @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce-M 8400SE , Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy 32-bit<br />Gateway E4000: P4 @ 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200SE, Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 32-bit<br />Averatec 2200: Turion64 @ 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 7.10 Gutsy 64-bit

Comment

I had this problem because i overclocked too much. X would just freeze when the workload was high. Have you oc'd anything?
            Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--&gt; # 15709

Comment

Left pc on over night - no downloads

Frozen this morning, couldnt do ANY keyboard commands

Superkaramba was still running and showing X at 95%

Mouse was still working fine, no jumping. but buttons wouldnt bring up any menu's. Had to power down.

Didnt get a chance to check logs

Ref: Overclocking - none

Comment

Do you have the file .xsession-errors in your home directory? Sometimes that can give you a clue as to what's going on with X, although I'm not sure anything gets written there if you're just idling on the desktop.

Comment

Like Nate said, I would check your log files. Post anything interesting.

Out of curiousity, has this happened since your initial install or just recently? It would be interesting to find out what is driving X to 95% overnight. The machine running idle, even with Superkaramba, shouldn't run that high.

Comment

I've seen the strigi daemon and also Superkaramba perform similar stunts on Kubuntu. I'm presently running a Superkaramba monitor on my Gutsy system, and it's working OK, but I'm running gkrellm on my Mepis and Sidux installations, and I think I like it better, even if it's not as "pretty". It has a bit of "tunability" that my Superkaramba monitor lacks, and I've never seen it misbehave or crash.

So, I'd recommend an overnight experiment with no Superkaramba running (you can open System>KSysguard > Processes tab to kill the Superkaramba process before you leave the system for the evening).

Comment

after reading the logs i have found this:

[ 1503.630141] ata6: soft resetting port
                      [ 1503.630153] ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
                      [ 1503.630163] ata6: EH complete
                      [ 1503.639301] ata6: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x4060000 action 0x2 frozen
                      [ 1503.639307] ata6: (irq_stat 0x00000040, connection status changed)

Not sure its related, but im sure its not good, happens every 2secs (making log files huge). done some reading up on it, seems other people are affect but no one seems to have an answer

Comment

It may be helpful to install the 'smartmontools' package to read the SMART data from the drive. This should either diagnose the problem with the disk, or rule it out as a possible cause.

I also remember reading something about Ubuntu being really aggressive with laptop SATA power settings, causing them to fail. It didn't sound like you were using a laptop, but might be something to check.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ort/+bug/59695

Comment

strange thing is, im not even running SATA, its an IDE drive i have in the pc

Comment

Working...
                          X