This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash player on AMD 64-bit Machine

I recently installed 7.10 on an AMD 64-bit machine and am having problems getting the adobe flash player working in Firefox. I searched this forum for the topic and found some instructions that suggested downloading an earlier version of the .tar.gz file and copying the .so file into the ~/mozilla/plugins folder. I did this (the plugins folder didn't exist so I created it), but it didn't help.

Now, when I enter aboutlugins in the browser I get a fairly long list of items which makes me wonder if I'm putting the .so file in the right place. Is there another location that I should try?

Any other suggestions to get this to work?

Thanks for the help.
    Bill Lugg

Re: Flash player on AMD 64-bit Machine

Yea . . . the flashplugin-nonfree package in the repos is broken :P You can, however, still install Flash in both Firefox and Konqueror.

To install Flash, download the *.tar.gz package from here; then, open Konqueror - or your favorite file browser - and navigate to where you downloaded the file. Right-click the tarball, select "Actions", and choose "Unpack Here". Then, open the unpacked file and move the "libflashplayer.so" file to your "/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/" directory; this action, however, must be run as root. The easiest way to move a file from one location to another would be to open Konsole, and "cd" (or "change directory") to the location of the file. Say I downloaded and unpacked the file to my desktop, I would use the command
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/[filename]
    Where "~/Desktop" is short for "/home/[username]/Desktop" and "[filename]" is the name of the unpacked tarball. Then, to move the file, use the command
    Code:
    sudo mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
    Now, the fun part - making the 32bit version of Flash run on a 64bit machine It's really a simple series of actions:

1) Make sure you have the nspluginwrapper package installed.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install nspluginwrapper
    2) Run the command
    Code:
    nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    That's it!!! If you want to install the Java plugin, either install the icedtea-java7-plugin from the repos, or enter the commands
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install ia32-sun-java6-bin
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
    Code:
    nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    Then, open/restart Firefox and run the command "aboutlugins" from the address bar, and see if the Flash and Java plugins are installed

Edit: And if you want to import your Flash plugin into Konqueror (if installed, Java's already there), click the "Settings" button from Konqueror's menu bar, click "Configure Konqueror", choose the "Plugins" tab from the left scroll menu, and hit the "Scan" button. Click either the "yes" or "no" button in the dialog box that pops up, it doesn't seem to matter which you choose. You should then have Flash installed in Konqueror too!!!

Sources:
    o http://kudos.berlios.de/kf/kisimlar/...ml#scanplugins
    o https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AM...AMD64FlashJava
    o http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_experience
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thanks for the outstanding directions on getting the flash player going! it was just the ticket.

As for the Java piece of it everything worked up to the nspluginwrapper statement. When I entered the command I got the error:

nspluginwrapper: /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so is not a valid NPAPI plugin

Any idea of what might be the cause of the problem here?

Thanks again for the help.

Bill Lugg

Comment

I've been trying various methods to the java plugin working, and it seems as though I misspoke a little :P

There's apparently not a good Java 6 plugin for 64bit Kubuntu 7.10, so we'll have to stick with IcedTea. Sun's Java seems to have issues with IcedTea, so you'll probably begin receiving java errors in your /home directory. Don't worry about them, their safe to delete
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
          I've been trying various methods to the java plugin working, and it seems as though I misspoke a little :P

There's apparently not a good Java 6 plugin for 64bit Kubuntu 7.10, so we'll have to stick with IcedTea. Sun's Java seems to have issues with IcedTea, so you'll probably begin receiving java errors in your /home directory. Don't worry about them, their safe to delete
          The IcedTea approach seemed to address the problem.

Thanks for the help.
          Bill Lugg

Comment

Working...
          X