Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logbook Of The World - Installation Problem - acpid Support?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Logbook Of The World - Installation Problem - acpid Support?

Okay...logged in as admin and tried that but the service would not start. I rebooted and noted that during boot I see:

loading acpid modules............................[ok]
    starting acpid services............................[ok]

but looking in the system services shows that it is NOT running. I also rebooted to the previous version of my kernel but still not difference.

All this effort and I still wonder what the heck power services have to do with installing this, or any, software?

sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Also, going into System Services (admin) and trying to start acpid yields a popup box with the following inside:

* Loading ACPI modules...
      ...done.
      * Starting ACPI services...

but this window never closes nor does it say that the services finally started.
      sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

I wondered about that also. You could try the following:
        1) Disable power management in the BIOS.
        2) Disable any/all power management services (do not start at boot).
        3) Reboot (after 1 and 2 changes made)
        4) Try reinstalling the package. See if you still get the acpid statements during the package installation.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          4) Try reinstalling the package. See if you still get the acpid statements during the package installation.
          Do you mean the Logbook of the World package or acpid?

Comment

The former.

Comment

Nope. That did not work either.

[sudo] password for mrmsudawgs:
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              trustedqsl is already the newest version.
              The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
              libgnucrypto-java libgpod1 libgtk-jni libcairo-java
              linux-headers-2.6.20-16-generic libbcprov-java libdb3 libglib-java libnspr4
              linux-headers-2.6.20-16 libgda2-3 libhamlib2 libgtk-java libtotem-plparser1
              libgda2-common librsvg2-common libgdiplus
              Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
              0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 45 not upgraded.
              3 not fully installed or removed.
              Need to get 0B of archives.
              After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
              Setting up acpid (1.0.4-5ubuntu8) ...
              * Loading ACPI modules... [ OK ]
              * Starting ACPI services... invoke-rc.d: initscript acpid, action "start" failed.
              dpkg: error processing acpid (--configure):
              subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
              dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of acpi-support:
              acpi-support depends on acpid (>= 1.0.4-1ubuntu4); however:
              Package acpid is not configured yet.
              dpkg: error processing acpi-support (--configure):
              dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
              dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of powermanagement-interface:
              powermanagement-interface depends on acpi-support (>= 0.17); however:
              Package acpi-support is not configured yet.
              dpkg: error processing powermanagement-interface (--configure):
              dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
              Errors were encountered while processing:
              acpid
              acpi-support
              powermanagement-interface
              E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
              mrmsudawgs@closet:~$ whereis trustedqsl
              trustedqsl:

Come to think of it, I can not start or stop any services (Kron, for example) nor can I download any package with Adept without these same error messages popping up. To my knowledge, I've changed nothing that would cause this but I did accept a few updates earlier in the week. That was the first time I noticed that Adept failed to install a package.

Is there a clue there? Is there a way to backtrack and see what updates were installed?

Comment

Something just isn't right! Open a console and type:
                Code:
                cd /
                sudo apt-get install --simulate trustedqsl
                Look through the output to see if
                acpid
                acpi-support
                are identified. When I ran this command, these packages were not identified as part of the installation of trustedqsl

Comment

Here is what I got:

mrmsudawgs@closet:/$ sudo apt-get install --simulate trustedqsl
                  [sudo] password for mrmsudawgs:
                  Building dependency tree
                  trustedqsl is already the newest version.
                  0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 45 not upgraded.
                  3 not fully installed or removed.
                  Conf acpid (1.0.4-5ubuntu8 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
                  Conf acpi-support (0.103 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
                  Conf powermanagement-interface (0.3.17 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
                  mrmsudawgs@closet:/$

Comment

Mine:
                    paul@laptop:/$ sudo apt-get install --simulate trustedqsl
                    [sudo] password for paul:
                    Building dependency tree
                    The following extra packages will be installed:
                    libwxbase2.6-0 libwxgtk2.6-0 tqsllib1c2a
                    Suggested packages:
                    libgnomeprintui2.2-0
                    The following NEW packages will be installed:
                    libwxbase2.6-0 libwxgtk2.6-0 tqsllib1c2a trustedqsl
                    0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                    Inst libwxbase2.6-0 (2.6.3.2.1.5ubuntu12 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
                    Inst libwxgtk2.6-0 (2.6.3.2.1.5ubuntu12 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
                    Inst tqsllib1c2a (2.0-5 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
                    Inst trustedqsl (1.11-4ubuntu1 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
                    Conf libwxbase2.6-0 (2.6.3.2.1.5ubuntu12 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
                    Conf libwxgtk2.6-0 (2.6.3.2.1.5ubuntu12 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
                    Conf tqsllib1c2a (2.0-5 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
                    Conf trustedqsl (1.11-4ubuntu1 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
                    Note two things here. First, I've never installed/attempted to install trustedqsl, so my output above doesn't have the "trustedqsl is already the newest version" line your does. Second, my output has no references to Conf acpid (1.0.4-5ubuntu8 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy), Conf acpi-support (0.103 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy), or Conf powermanagement-interface (0.3.17 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy) as your does.

Based on my simulated installation output, the acpid- and powermanagement- packages are not part of trustedqsl. In fact, when I looked at the details for this package in Adept Manager, they were not listed either.

"If I were in your position," I would:

1) Disable all powermanagement in the BIOS (I believe you've done this)
                    2) Uninstall (attempt to uninstall):
                    acpid
                    acpid-support
                    trustedqsl
                    3) Shutdown/Restart
                    4) Check Services to ensure that acpid is either not present, or if present, is set as Start at Boot No
                    5) Shutdown/Restart
                    6) Reinstall trustedqsl

If a step is not successful, copy/paste the results (including the command line step executed) for a review before continuing. Otherwise, procede with the next step.

Comment

Now we are making progress - I think. I ran sudo apt-install trustedqsl and got the below:

The following NEW packages will be installed:
                      trustedqsl
                      0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 45 not upgraded.
                      Need to get 0B/410kB of archives.
                      After unpacking 1589kB of additional disk space will be used.
                      WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
                      trustedqsl
                      Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
                      Selecting previously deselected package trustedqsl.
                      (Reading database ... 148624 files and directories currently installed.)
                      Unpacking trustedqsl (from .../trustedqsl_1.11-4ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
                      Setting up trustedqsl (1.11-4ubuntu1) ...
                      trustedqsl:
                      mrmsudawgs@closet:~$ trustedeqsl
                      bash: trustedeqsl: command not found
                      mrmsudawgs@closet:~$

So..is it installed? I do not see it in my Kmenu nor in /usr/bin.

Comment

Some applications require a restart before they show in the K Menu. I'll do some research and post again. Let me know after your restart.

Comment

No program even after a fresh reboot. I checked Adept and it shows both trustedqsl and the needed library file are installed.

trustedqsl:
                          mrmsudawgs@closet:~$

Comment

Open Konqueror and paste the following:
                            usr/share/TrustedQSL/help/tqslapp/main.htm

Comment

Yeah Baby!!!!!!! That did it! It is up and running!!!

"I feel a whoop coming on"

WHOOP!!!!!

Okay, enough of that...thanks a double heaping ton for your help! There a tons of Amateur Radio Operators out there who have had issues getting this very program to install on Linux. Not all the issues were the same but we can now cross one of them off the list of issues.

This program was my last reason to hold on to my Windows partition as it would only run in Windows. Bye Bye Windows!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaawwwwwww!

Thanks again!

Comment

You are most welcome. I'll do a little 'happy dance' as well. Nice to know that I was able to assist another member to a solution. Linux rocks! 8)

Comment

Working...
                                X