X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounted devices don't show up on desktop

hi everone:

i've configured my desktop so that new devices should show up on the desktop when mounted (using the dialog "configure desktop > behavior > device icons".

however, whenever i log into kubuntu, none of my devices are displayed. this only happens when i mount a new device by hand.

is this a bug, or am i missing a something?

Re: Mounted devices don't show up on desktop

Do the devices mount automatically in the first place? (The CD-ROM is a good indicator, since it is in /etc/fstab and should have 'auto' for an option)

I ask because I have the reverse of this problem, where automatically mounted devices show up on the desktop, but manually mounted ones don't. As most devices I use (CD/DVD and USB drives) are mounted automatically, this is easy to ignore, but a permanent solution would be nice.
    HP dv2600: Core2 @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce-M 8400SE , Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy 32-bit<br />Gateway E4000: P4 @ 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200SE, Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 32-bit<br />Averatec 2200: Turion64 @ 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 7.10 Gutsy 64-bit

Comment

i have what i think is the same problem. the devices are mounted, but they don't show up on the desktop despite the setting. i believe it is a recurring bug in kde or kubuntu's specific kde packges, i can't remember which.
      there are a few workarounds. what i do is:
      1. call ksysguard & sigterm kdesktop
      2. relaunch kdesktop from term
      then the devices show up.
      <br />

Comment

I have a possibly related bug - NOTHING shows up on my desktop. Not even files in the /home/user/Desktop folder.
        I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

echoes~:

thanks for the tip, sigterm/restarting kdestop worked. bit cumbersome though to do that every time i start up kubuntu.

do you happen to know whether there is a way to implement this into the startup procedure somehow?

Comment

@ homoludens
            i know, i have to do it every time i start up kde3 too. but you could leave it as is, that would make it like kde4! lol (but that is intended, not a bug. i do hope they intend to implement devices on the desktop eventually).
            if anyone knows how to do what i mentioned above from term, please post it. (restart kdesktop from command line).
            <br />

Comment

Working...
            X