This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting Ipod Touch to Amarok

hey im a new convert from windows and im trying to get the hand of linux, Im trying to sync and get linux to add my touch and it thinks its a cam. how do i connect the two wirelessly/wired?

Re: Connecting Ipod Touch to Amarok

Let me save you a lot of effort as I have been down that road already with my 30 Gig video iPod. Amarok works very well for .mp3, and other type of AUDIO files but it is pure crap when it comes to video files. I worked and worked on it for about three weeks trying to get Amarok to manage my video files. Audio files were fine. Video files - terrible. Even Amarok's developers stated that they have little interest in making it handle video files.

If your tastes lie in audio file types only (music and audio podcasts) then Amarok will and should work fine for you if and only if they offer support for your iPod. Check their website and make sure your iPod is supported. Amarok also has a podcast fetcher but you have to go and find the podcasts on your own then copy and past the url into Amarok. Only then will Amarok download and maintain the podcast (similar to iTunes).

Now, if you want to transfer videos, use gtkpod. Google "gtkpod" and you will find it. gtkpod will handle audio and video and is the program that I use. It is not without its faults but neither is iTunes. Also, you'll have to use a separate program to fetch your podcast the way iTunes does. Again, you'll have to go and find the url but after that the podcasts (video and audio) will download on a regular basis. I use "Hpodder" but there are others like "Jpodder", "Banshee", etc...that will work very well. To each his own.

It is important to understand that neither of these programs will work like iTunes. iTunes is plug-n-play. Very easy. Almost idiot proof. Not the case for Amarok or gtkpod. Read their wiki's. Join the forums. Learn how to use the programs before you ever connect your iPod to it or YOU RISK CORRUPTING YOUR ITUNES DATA BASE ON YOUR IPOD. Not the end of the world but it goes a long way in getting you there.

Backup your files before starting. Take some time to read the documentation. Be patient. And most importantly, forget that you ever saw iTunes.

m
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Re: Connecting Ipod Touch to Amarok

Agreed. Use my 80gb Ipod Video with Amarok, but rarely if ever transfer files. I run Rockbox, so I just use unison and sync my music directories. RB doesn't do video yet, so I still run the ipod os for video. I use an app called Floola. Pretty nifty and I think it is a bit handier than gtkpod, but ymmv.

http://www.floola.com/modules/wiwimod/

Comment

Working...
      X