This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ScreenSaver List gone - KDE 4 did this? [SOLVED]

Has anybody tried changing their Screen Saver settings to notice the list of screen savers gone in 3.5.8? I have and it happened after installing KDE4 core. Anyone know how I can get this back in 3.5.8? I'd like to change my screen saver.

Re: ScreenSaver List gone - KDE 4 did this?

I tried KDE 4 for 10 minutes before giving up, I went back to 3.5.8

However, my screensavers are all present and working.

Comment

Anybody else!!?? Tried reinstalling kscreensavers. Nada! Tried finding where that config file for kcontrol that points to the screen savers, nada. This should be easy to fix, but nothing shows up. I've Googled and found numerous hits about similar problems and all couldn't be answered. Someone??

Comment

It reminds me of a problem I had years ago. Took me a good year to figure it out. Have a look here:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135259

I notice that installing kde4 recreated the .config directory which got me worried. A quick check is just to rename .config to something else, and log out/log in to see if it fixes it.

Comment

Originally posted by moir
          It reminds me of a problem I had years ago. Took me a good year to figure it out. Have a look here:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135259

I notice that installing kde4 recreated the .config directory which got me worried. A quick check is just to rename .config to something else, and log out/log in to see if it fixes it.
          Thanks!! That was it!

Actually I moved the file "/home/moonrise/.config/Trolltech.conf" completely out, had KDE4 stuff all in it. And then moved the file "/home/moonrise/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu" out. Tried the Screen Saver List and there it was!!. Now the KMenu was reorganized due to the loss of "/home/moonrise/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu" so I added it back and not only were my Screen Savers still listed, my KMenu was back how I had it.

Thanks!!

Comment

Re: ScreenSaver List gone - KDE 4 did this? [SOLVED]

Glad it worked! Funny though, I don't check this forum too often. Good luck huh?

A bizarre little bug and a rare one for sure! If you think applications-kmenuedit.menu had something to do with it, you might consider voting for it.

Comment

Yeah, that was fortunate luck and it helped another out as well in this forum. I really think it is related to that KDE4-core doesn't install its Screen Savers and so configures as such which is interfering with 3.5.8.

Comment

Perhaps you're right, but when I installed it did have two or three very basic screen savers in the pick list. Blank screen was one of them?

Comment

Blank Screen was the only one to show for me in KDE4. So you're right. Maybe it is a "basic" Screen Saver by default separate from the package? Don't know, just glad to have it fixed.

Comment

Working...
                  X