X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(solved) Error when running install

Hi,

I'm running Kubuntu 7.10 on a VmWare installation (host = WinXp). I'm using this to develop my domotics system, which runs on the FoxBoard (embedded linux).

During the installation of the SDK, at a certain moment the command "install" is used from within scripts to install certain applications.

However, when executing such install commands, I get the following error:

install -p -d /home/fb/devboard-R2_01/tools/build-R2_12_4/bin
    * Error -d is not a supported platform
    Apparently, install interprets the parameters -p and -d in a wrong way.

In the past, I used Kubuntu 6.10 and I did not have that problem when I installed the same SDK.

Apparently, the behaviour of the install command has changed between Kubuntu 6.10 and Kubuntu 7.10. Is this possible?

Has anyone any idea what could be the cause of this error?

Best rgds,

--Geert

Re: Error when running install

Have you tried it as
    Code:
    install -pd /home/fb/devboard-R2_01/tools/build-R2_12_4/bin
    ?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Have you tried it as
      Code:
      ?
      Just did, but the effect is the same. Now I get the error:

* Error -pd is not a supported platform
      I also forgot to mention that, when I run it as su, there seems to be no problem. So, does it have to to something with rights/permissions maybe?

Best rgds,

--Geert

Comment

Originally posted by GeertVc
        Just did, but the effect is the same. Now I get the error:

* Error -pd is not a supported platform
        Hi,

Found my problem. In the end, it was simply a coincidence of different factors.
        • to build the FoxBoard embedded image, I added some typical FoxBoard SDK paths to my common path environment (for instance, where's the FoxBoard SDK compiler located, header files, etc...
        • the FoxBoard installation has a script called "install" in the main directory of the FoxBoard SDK. The main directory was part of my common path environment
        • however, that main FoxBoard SDK directory was added (by me, by accident) before all other general Linux directories (like there are, /usr/bin).
        • since I had problems with the install command, at a certain moment in time I typed "which install". To my big surprise, I saw the install script of the FoxBoard SDK was taken, not the install executable which exists in /usr/bin!!!
        • then it was immediately clear to me: everywhere where the different FoxBoard SDK scripts were about to call the executable "install" (located in /usr/bin), they were in fact calling the script "install" (located in the FoxBoard SDK). Since that latter one takes the first parameter (in this case: -p) as a board definition, of course, that board definition didn't exist!!! So, I got the error install -pd /home/fb/devboard-R2_01/tools/build-R2_12_4/bin
        • solving the issue was done by making sure the /usr/bin directory (and all the other OS specific directories) were put in front of my own directories. Since I'm the only one working on that computer, I've added this in /etc/profile (so for "all" users) iso a dedicated .profile file in my home directory.

Conclusion: problem solved!!!

Thought I'd share this info with "the world"...

Best rgds,

--Geert

Comment

Working...
        X