This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programs will not start (FIXED)

I can not start Boinc Manager or Filezilla from the KDE desktop.

Boinc Manager was working first thing in the morning, I installed todays update in Adept, re booted into Windows XP did some work, then rebooted into Gutsy and noticed Boinc Manager did not auto start.

I've just installed the update on my second computer that runs Ubuntu Gutsy and the same thing has happened. This one is a Linux only computer.

Any ideas
    Network of two Dell Optiplex dual boot Pentium 4s, Linux user since 1999 Very Happy with Kubuntu and Mandriva. Three other native&nbsp; computers. Computers in my blood since 1975.<br /><br />A Perkin Web Design and computer hardware engineer

Re: Programs will not start

Originally posted by Antkin

I installed todays update in Adept
    That's where you went wrong -- looks like a bug in the updated xserver-xorg-core:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=461409

Comment

Antkin,
      Same thing happened to me! I cannot get Filezilla started after I installed the update.
      Will check on the discussion mentioned by dibl.
      Is there a way to undo an update?

Comment

Matthew
        Thanks for your reply. I hope they do an undo or a fix. I can get by with Filezilla for Windows on one machine but I've only two out of four machines running Boinc.
        Firefox and Thunderbird are running OK so all is not lost.
        Network of two Dell Optiplex dual boot Pentium 4s, Linux user since 1999 Very Happy with Kubuntu and Mandriva. Three other native&nbsp; computers. Computers in my blood since 1975.<br /><br />A Perkin Web Design and computer hardware engineer

Comment

It says on Ubuntu Forum that the devs are removing the buggy version from the repository soon (today). When that occurs, it should be possible to mark the file xserver-xorg-core in Adept and remove it. After a refresh/fetch, then you can can mark it again for installation and the prior version should be installed for you.

"Should" being the operative term .....

Comment

dibl,
            That sounds good.

So we would essentially be doing an "update" by going back to the old version? I guess that's more of a "downdate"!

Looking forward to the fix.
            Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewSchenker
              I guess that's more of a "downdate"!

Yep -- back to the good old days when it worked, I guess!

Comment

One way is to downgrade:

How to downgrade packages (forcing version)
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090553.0

Note
                You need to restart or restart xserver afterwards.

Link:

Pinning version
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...9271#msg109271
                Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

rog131
                  Thanks for that, Boinc and Filezilla working in KDE.

Comment

Re: Programs will not start (FIXED)

You lost me on the downgrade thing. Are you saying I need to revert to an older version just to fix this one bug? Don't I lose other benefits if I do this?

I installed this morning's XORG update via Adept, but I still can't get FileZilla to start.

Am I missing something here?

Comment

Matthew

Yes, I down graded and the programs work now in KDE. As soon as I had down graded adept indicated that there were updates to install, I ignored the Xserver upgrade.

Comment

OK, I got FileZilla running again. However, my system is really slow now. Not sure if it has to do with these updates. When I start an application, it's like the bouncing icon is in slow motion!

Comment

Not sure whether you all are nvidia users or what, but I run ATI and Intel and have not downgraded and have not had this problem. I have run filezilla on all my machines.

Comment

All four Dell computers are Pentium 4's with on board Intel graphics chips.

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
                              Not sure whether you all are nvidia users or what, but I run ATI and Intel and have not downgraded and have not had this problem. I have run filezilla on all my machines.
                              Did you install the updates that caused the problems? If you skipped those updates, you wouldn't experience the FileZilla problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X