This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adept package manager

As a beginner with Kubuntu 7.10 and Ubuntu 7.10, after a month of problems I was about ready to give up. I read page after page of bug reports and other forum post.
    I decided to concentrate with Kubuntu. My main problem was with the Adept Package Manager. Every time I installed to hard drive (3 different computers) and attempted to update, at first 73 packages shown needing update, the updater would download all and then begin the installation, every time the updater would stop and display"There was a error committing changes, Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages" I would then try to fetch packages again, but would get the message that the updater was already busy. I then was ask if I would like to find out the problem, which I said yes to. I then received the message about a " SIGABRT", I back traced , but did not know what to do with it. I could no longer access the adept update manager as it always showed being busy, restarts were no help. So twice I reinstalled and continued to keep running into the same thing. The last three times, after more searching of the forums, I found the command "sudo dpkg --configure-a" made it able to get back into Adept with out reinstalling Kububtu. Then paying more attention to when it happened, it always happened when during the the install, it stopped while configuring 'Libq T3-mt". When fetching updates, there were always 12 packages associated with this package. Finally today after reading more bug forums on updating, I did one simple thing, I installed the Synaptic Update Manager, marked all updates it showed., which included the 12 packages shown with "Libg T3-mt". Synaptic downloaded and installed everything with out a problem. Adept must have a major bug. Makes me very happy, I really like Kubuntu and all it does. I hope this helps some other beginner or oldie. Another note on this, is my Son had same problems when he tried to use on two of his systems.

Re: adept package manager

if adept ever fails, running apt-get update and apt-get upgrade in a terminal will, at least, get you a better error message, which you can copy and paste so we can see the exact error and offer more specific help. At best, it will complete the update process for you.

I think that your first error message with adept was a known bug, that was fixed in the first update. Kind of a bad place to find and experience a bug, though.

Comment

Try running 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to make sure that all previous package installations completed cleanly. After that, I agree with claydoh, try running 'sudo aptitude safe-upgrade' or the apt-get equivalent in a terminal for some juicy output. Is it breaking on a certain package?
      HP dv2600: Core2 @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce-M 8400SE , Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy 32-bit<br />Gateway E4000: P4 @ 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200SE, Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 32-bit<br />Averatec 2200: Turion64 @ 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 7.10 Gutsy 64-bit

Comment

hi all,

something similar is happeing to me:

i did a fresh install of Kubuntu 7.10 and then run in command line:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade.

It finished with an error.

Reading this post i run "sudo spkg --configure -a" and gave the output from the atachment.

Attached Files

Comment

OK

I FOUND IT!!!

This is the link where i found the problem and solution.

BUG 104553 (in font config)

Solution:

$ sudo bash
          # wget -O folder_list.txt http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...6&d=1175696100
          # cat folder_list.txt | xargs touch
          # cd /usr/share/fonts/truetype
          # for i in * ; do touch ${i}; done
          # cd /var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d
          # for i in * ; do touch ${i}; done
          # apt-get dist-upgrade

AND IT REALLY WORKS!

Comment

Working...
          X