This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log out options

I was wondering, I do have an nvidia graphic card. when the proprietary driver is not installed, the log out button on the KDE menu shows me different options. Those options are: reboot, shutdown, log out, among others. Once I install the nvidia driver the only option giving me is log out. How can I go about getting those options back with the nvidia driver on.
    You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
    Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
    Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Re: Log out options

You're probably not, but if you are, run the command
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
    as compared to
    Code:
    startx
    when starting the Xserver from a terminal shell

I've found that if I use "startx" instead of the former, my shutdown options are limited; however, if I use "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start", I usually have about 5 options (shutdown, restart, logout, switch user, hibernate).

I had your problem back when Gutsy was still a beta, but it seemed to have been fixed with the official release. Out of curiosity, how did you install your Nvidia driver? Did you use the Restricted Drivers Manager, Envy, manually compile/install it, or some other method?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I used Envy. Every time I use the restricted drivers manager the driver will not work at boot up. So do you think if I use that command at least once, that should give me more options next time I boot up to the graphical interface?

Comment

It's worth a try

Before you can run it, you must first exit KDM; when you boot to the login screen, press Ctrl+Alt+F1, login via CLI, and run the command
        Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
        Then, run the opposite to restart KDM:
        Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thank you for for your answer. I did try what you suggested and some of the options came back. Nevertheless, the option that I was looking for, which was the restart and shutdown did not come up. I whish I could upload the picture so you could see it. if there is anything else I could try let me know, the only option that I have from KDE is the log out option. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X