This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default Kernal on Startup?

I have about three versions of Kernals that I can select from on startup. The one I want to use is not the "default" one. How can I change this? Can I delete all the others or is there a way to set a "default kernal"?

Thanks.

m
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: Default Kernel on Startup?

A quick google would have shown you several solutions. :P

I will assume you boot up using Grub.
    You can edit the order of booting by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst

An easy method is to 'commend out' the kernels you do not want to use, you do it by putting '## ' before these lines.

An other way is indeed as you suggested to uninstall the kernels you do not need any more, simply via Adept or Synaptic.

btw, during searches it helps when you spell kernel as kernel

Comment

Re: Default Kernal on Startup?

Google is our friend.

I actually searched the forum before posting but did not think to search outside the forum via Google. Thanks for the info!

M
      sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Re: Default Kernel on Startup?

Originally posted by Teunis
        An easy method is to 'commend out' the kernels you do not want to use, you do it by putting '## ' before these lines.
        That's a bit 'dirty' :P way of doing it, and manual changes in the AUTOMAGIC part of menu.lst won't stick when updating/changing kernels (update-grub will rewrite it)

You can uninstall unneeded kernels or change the 'default' value in your menu.lst:
        ## default num
        # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
        # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
        #
        # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
        # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
        # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not change this entry to 'saved' or your
        # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
        default 0

Comment

Working...
        X