This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(K)UbuFox? XPI from CLI?

I want to include certain Firefox extensions by default when I add users to my Gutsy remaster. Is it as simple as moving the xpi files to a certain directory or do I need UbuFox (which means 58 mb of Gnome baggage)? If that is the case does anyone know if I can install only certain packages to give me similar functionality from the command line (ex. dpkg -i add-on.xpi)?

Re: (K)UbuFox? XPI from CLI?

You can just duplicate your '~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/extensions' file; I do it all the time
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

You can just duplicate your '~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/extensions' file; I do it all the time
      I agree. Just stick it in a backup folder in your /home (if it is on a separate partition, all the better)
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

So if I were to move it to /usr/share/firefox/defaults/extensions/ would that pull them over into any new user created on the system?

Comment

So if I were to move it to /usr/share/firefox/defaults/extensions/ would that pull them over into any new user created on the system?
          I haven't tried that and won't. I try and leave as many of the root config files alone as possible. I have screwed up my system with experiments enough in the past,
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I'll let you know how it goes. From what I see, it should be /usr/share/firefox/. Thanks.

Comment

I believe this applies to the "root" version of FF only as your personal settings are in /home /username.....

but yeh go and play
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I don't think that will work; I was speaking of /home/[username]/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/extensions; that is where Firefox keeps the extensions you install, not in your /usr/ directory

Edit: On my system, it looks like:
                ~/.mozilla/firefox/hn3xb5t9.default/extensions
                Where "~/" is my "/home/[username]" directory; "hn3xb5t9" will be different on your computer, but will be followed with the ".default" extension.

I believe this applies to the "root" version of FF only as your personal settings are in /home /username.....
                Yes, Fintan, I believe you're correct in that assumption
                Asus G1S-X3:
                Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

The way to install global Firefox extensions is to:
                  1. Install them as a user.
                  2. In Konsole cd into /home/[username]/.mozilla/firefox/[random junk].default/extensions/
                  3. Do a 'sudo mv * /usr/lib/firefox/extensions/

Edit: As an FYI...
                  Bookmarks can be set globally by overwriting /usr/share/firefox/defaults/profile/bookmarks.html
                  Search plug-ins can be set globally by adding/deleting them from /usr/share/firefox/searchplugins/

Comment

For bookmarks:
                    Foxmarksd bookmarks synchronizer extension

that will synchronize your bookmarks for all instances of FF on your computer / network
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                    X