X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4 desktop niggles

Hi all

Installed KDE4 on day of launch. Very nice, highly polished, but there are a couple of problems I don't seem to be able to resolve - possibly I can't see the wood for the trees so if there is an obvious fix my apologies:

1. The desktop icons are all over the place and the verical and horizontal alignment functions (desktop right click) do adjust them but with no semblance of order. I have been unable to find a "by name" option either. Is this option no longer available?

2. I don't seem to be able to resize the taskbar, due to the functions of "configure desktop" being somewhat less than in 3.5.8. Can anyone say whether I should be looking elsewhere or is there something I need to install please?

3. The taskbar doesn't seem to show any running applications dragging items to the bottom of the screen or minimising applications seems to place them underneath the taskbar so I can't get at them.

Anyone able to help with these please?

Thanks

Ian

Re: KDE 4 desktop niggles

Hopefully this will help you out a little

Basically, KDE4 is still somewhat in a final beta state (i.e. it is still in development, and not finished, but is very close); they released it so more people would become involved in its development, hoping that with more people testing KDE4, the remaining bugs would be quickly discovered and reported, and they could release a rock solid, stable version shortly thereafter. They have probably been correct in their assumptions (you're testing it)

You cannot currently resize the taskbar, or drag items to it from your desktop, but those features will be incorporated very soon; take a look at the link above, it will likely answer most, if not all of your questions
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

3. The taskbar doesn't seem to show any running applications dragging items to the bottom of the screen or minimising applications seems to place them underneath the taskbar so I can't get at them.
      I have not seen that but why not get rid of the taskbar and opening up widgets (right top of the desktop or right click on the desktop) and dragging / dropping the taskbar (or any widget) to the panel.

By right clicking on an app in the kmenu and choosing "ad to panel" you can do just that.

I don't know about you desktop allignments isuues, have a look here:
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/ and search for kde4

As for the rest intergre said it all
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Another Niggle...
        Where is the right click -> actions->edit in root in Konqueror when opening up /home?

How can I set up dolphin kde4 so it has the right sidebar with the edit as root function as in the gutsy (kde3.5.8) version?

Comment

Originally posted by Fredh
          Another Niggle...
          Where is the right click -> actions->edit in root in Konqueror when opening up /home?

How can I set up dolphin kde4 so it has the right sidebar with the edit as root function as in the gutsy (kde3.5.8) version?
          Now you're asking the right questions (I don't have a clue)

The only thing I can guess, because I haven't researched those particular features, is that they are still being ported from the KDE3 version of Konqueror to the KDE4 version. Dolphin uses Konqueror's service menus for editing purposes, so I'd imagine Dolphin's right sidebar won't be able to provide editing options until Konqueror once again has its service menus

Edit: Good time to learn your commands
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Now you're asking the right questions
            Didn't I before

Good time to learn your commands
            Yeah, while we are at it, where is the alt+F2 function gone to? Nothing happens anymore. It used to bring up a nice app launcher. And there isn't one in either kmenu (kde4 or traditional)

Comment

Alt+F2 should bring up an application launcher that looks something like this:
              [img width=400 height=234]http://kde.org/announcements/4.0/screenshots/krunner-desktop_thumb.jpg[/img]

Go to "System Settings KDE4 -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts", click the drop-down menu above the shortcuts, and select "krunner"; then, make sure the "Run Command" shortcut is set to "Alt+F2".
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Alt+F2 seems to stop working after awhile, for some reason. If that's the case, as it is for me, the quickest way to get that run menu is to right-click the desktop and choose "Run Command".

Comment

Yeah, while we are at it, where is the alt+F2 function gone to? Nothing happens anymore. It used to bring up a nice app launcher. And there isn't one in either kmenu (kde4 or traditional)
                  I have the same issue.

My krunner->run commands settings are set to Alt+F2 but am having to do the same as Nate.
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I dunno'

Anyway, until we find the answer for that particular problem, here's a possible temporary solution to a previous one.

Edit: It would seem as though there are still a few bugs in the KDE4 version of Konqueror, this should be the correct link
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Thanks, I have that too but it only works with konqueror kde3. I haven't gotten it to work with konqueror kde4 >

another niggle: where is unpack to?
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The tip about dragging stuff straight from the widget box has help enormously. Thanks very much!

Ian

Comment

Working...
                        X