This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did this happned????

There are certain problems that i experienced on using Kubuntu 7.10 for a few days. I am newbie & dont understand why is this happnening..........
    1) I had restarted Kubuntu after a short session. Before restarting I had kept Konsole open by mistake & also had copied some 34 files from desktop to Home folder. On restarting the Konsole was automatically up & running & also when right clicked on desktop it was showing me the option paste 34 files. What is the problem?
    2)Also i have mounted my windoze partitions to certain mount points. I had to copy some files to in order to access them from windoze. so i opened the option open as root form dolphin and copied them to it. On opening them from windoze it said that the files are corrupted. Why ?
    3)Also when i say open as root in dolphin the root window opens but a small tab saying Open as root stays up for long time even after dolphin has finished opening. Also the file which i has saved as text from kate into the windoze folder has turned weird or may be the stuff like dll language.
    4) Also whenever i cut some files from desktop & paste it in some folders all the files are pasted but that shadowed or faint icons showing cut files remain on the desktop. Finally i have to trash them after cutting & pasting them.
    So guys what is wrong Need your help in these matters..........

Re: Why did this happned?

Originally posted by ashzoomerintrack

1) I had restarted Kubuntu after a short session. Before restarting I had kept Konsole open by mistake & also had copied some 34 files from desktop to Home folder. On restarting the Konsole was automatically up & running & also when right clicked on desktop it was showing me the option paste 34 files. What is the problem?
    Kubuntu remembers what was open when it is shut down, and it opens all such programs when you restart it. Apparently it also remember the contents of the clipboard, in your case -- I didn't ever notice that before.

2)Also i have mounted my windoze partitions to certain mount points. I had to copy some files to in order to access them from windoze. so i opened the option open as root form dolphin and copied them to it. On opening them from windoze it said that the files are corrupted. Why ?
    3)Also when i say open as root in dolphin the root window opens but a small tab saying Open as root stays up for long time even after dolphin has finished opening. Also the file which i has saved as text from kate into the windoze folder has turned weird or may be the stuff like dll language.
    You should NOT use root to copy files -- that will change the permissions on them and cause trouble. (as you now see). Copy files as user. Avoid using root for routine procedures - it is only for system tasks, including installing software.

4) Also whenever i cut some files from desktop & paste it in some folders all the files are pasted but that shadowed or faint icons showing cut files remain on the desktop. Finally i have to trash them after cutting & pasting them.
    So guys what is wrong Need your help in these matters..........
    Probably this was caused by doing file-copying as root.

Comment

So how should i copy the files to windoze partitions & also how should i mount the partitions so as to use in normal conditions...........

Comment

Originally posted by ashzoomerintrack
        So how should i copy the files to windoze partitions & also how should i mount the partitions so as to use in normal conditions...........
        Assuming your Windows partitions are NTFS formatted, you need the package ntfs-3g installed (probably you have it already).

So, if the NTFS partitions are automatically mounted (listed in the /etc/fstab file), then those partitions should be available to you when browsing with Konqueror (lot of reasons not to use Dolphin ...). If, as a user, you open Konqueror, click "Storage Media" and you can't see those partitions, then there is some problem -- probably how they are set (or not) in /etc/fstab. If that is the case, you can copy and post your /etc/fstab file here and maybe we can help. To do that, just do Alt-F2, enter "kate" with no quote marks, and then use kate to open, highlight, and copy the file /etc/fstab. Then close kate and paste the file into your reply here.

Comment

I have all the partitions that FAT32. Here is /etc/fstab for detailed study:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
          #
          # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
          proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
          # /dev/sdb4
          UUID=20de026a-3c37-415e-a622-75034e519a03 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
          # /dev/sdb7
          UUID=e4d1e8ba-d34f-4d58-866a-c1ec33276f53 none swap sw 0 0
          /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
          /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
          /dev/sda1 /HDD1/C vfat defaults 0 0
          /dev/sda5 /HDD1/D vfat defaults 0 0
          /dev/sda6 /HDD1/E vfat defaults 0 0
          /dev/sdb1 /HDD2/C ext3 defaults 0 0
          /dev/sdb3 /HDD2/E ext3 defaults 0 0

The /dev/sda1 to /dev/sda6 are the windoze drives. Actually Kubuntu was not mounting them automatically so i myself edited the /etc/fstab to mount them at those respected mount points. Plz help to mount them in a way so i can write data to them & also the data will not corrupt. Also tell me where i went wrong in mounting them & why ? Just want to study how stuff work.............

Comment

Looks like your windows is on fat32. Oh well, here is my fstab entry for fat32 partitions with read/write permissions for user:
            vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 0
            so that would give you for example:
            /dev/sda1 /HDD1/C vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 0

I hope that helps and welcome to the club
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

1)This setting worked for me. But I have to restart the PC for these settings to work for me. sudo mount -a didnt worked as it doing in Ubuntu when i tried it. Is it normal ? or something fishy!
              2)Also i have an Ethernet Card of D-Link & Broadband router connected to it. When i used Kubuntu from live cd the Knetwork manager was detecting when LAN was ON or when it was OFF as and when i started my Broadband router but now it always shows Manual network configuration & no change in desktop notifier. Plz help ....

Comment

1)This setting worked for me. But I have to restart the PC for these settings to work for me. sudo mount -a didnt worked as it doing in Ubuntu when i tried it. Is it normal ? or something fishy!
                You can either reboot or go into kmenu->system settings->hardisk&files->admin mode: give your password and right click on the partitions you want to activate->edit and choose activate at start up then activate.
                2)Also i have an Ethernet Card of D-Link & Broadband router connected to it. When i used Kubuntu from live cd the Knetwork manager was detecting when LAN was ON or when it was OFF as and when i started my Broadband router but now it always shows Manual network configuration & no change in desktop notifier. Plz help ....
                I don't quite know what you mean by this. Do you turn your router off while using your computer? I have never done that, so I don't know what to tell you. I do know that when my provider goes on a vacation and comes back I have to deactivate and reactivate my card in system settings->network settings
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

1)That was a piece of knowledge that i would always wantedto learn. Thanks about
                  the HDD stuff.
                  2) Also you know a notifier on desktop tells you whether LAN is active or not that notifier is not working properly.. Got the Problem?

Comment

Working...
                  X