This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo! Messenger client - dependency problem

I'm too new to understand quite what I might do with this installation problem.

I attempted to install the Yahoo! Messenger client for Linux - ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb. Clicking on the download, I got an error message: "Dependency is not satisfiable - libssl0.9.6"

Checking in adept, it appears that this module is not available, and that I have libssl0.9.8 installed. Is the game over for me at this point?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Re: Yahoo! Messenger client - dependency problem

Kopete supports Yahoo Messenger protocol, maybe try that instead.

If you really want ymessenger, try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-depends-version <deb file>
    This should install it, and it will most likely run fine.
    The Nomad&#39;s Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
      I'm too new to understand quite what I might do with this installation problem.

I attempted to install the Yahoo! Messenger client for Linux - ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb. Clicking on the download, I got an error message: "Dependency is not satisfiable - libssl0.9.6"

Checking in adept, it appears that this module is not available, and that I have libssl0.9.8 installed. Is the game over for me at this point?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
      The Linux Yahoo Messenger client hasn't been updated in a long time, and consequently doesn't work with modern Linux distributions. (I think when I tried forcing the install it still didn't work). Kopete or Pidgin (formerly known as Gaim) support Yahoo Messenger, is there some reason you need the official client? If it's the voice communication, consider Skype instead, they maintain their Linux client.
      I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

I love this forum. One gets excellent, quick responses. Kind of like Kubuntu itself, now that I think of it!

What I really need isn't just a chat client, message client, or voice chat client, but a real-time video client. When on WinXP, MSN Messenger provides this quite well. What, if anything, is available for Kubuntu?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

When I last checked, webcams on msn on kopete worked fine. The hard part is getting a webcam that will work with Linux at all. If you've got one that works with Linux it will probably work with kopete. However, msn voice chat doesn't work.

If you're wanting to stream video and you have full control over what happens at both ends, there are other options. VLC has streaming capabilities I believe, as does mythtv (in Linux, webcams and analogue tv cards are treated very similarly)
          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
            I love this forum. One gets excellent, quick responses. Kind of like Kubuntu itself, now that I think of it!

What I really need isn't just a chat client, message client, or voice chat client, but a real-time video client. When on WinXP, MSN Messenger provides this quite well. What, if anything, is available for Kubuntu?

Thanks again for your help.
            Kopete supports webcams with MSN, however is slows down the system noticeably, especially if sending and receiving at the same time. Other programs for video chat are OpenWengo (in repos) and Skype 2.0 beta.
            The Nomad&#39;s Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

Working...
            X