This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Effects in KDE 4

Ok every time i turn on desktop effects and click apply, my whole screen goes black and never comes back to normal. Is the reason why desktop effects are not on by default or am I doing something I shouldn't be... Let me know.

Re: Desktop Effects in KDE 4

Hmmm.

Well I just now FOUND the desktop effects, and turned it on, but I got nuthin'. Not black, not anything, and no cube either. :P

Comment

try resetting and see if they take effect then.

Also, anyone know how to restore default settings through command line?

Comment

Originally posted by drumpat01
        try resetting and see if they take effect then.

Also, anyone know how to restore default settings through command line?
        Generally, deleting the ~/.kde4 directory should do the trick (rm -r ~/.kde4 on bash).

I can confirm this error on my system - but since compositing never really worked for me (wrong xorg driver, ati and so on...), this comes as no surprise to me ;-)

CU
        Daniel

Comment

remember in KDE's settings, Desktop Effects are not the same thing as Compiz, and you can't run them at the same time.

To try out KWin's desktop effects, you can find the settings to enable/disable and choose which ones by right-clicking on a window titlebar, select 'configure window behavior', then 'Desktop Effects'

This assumes you have your video card's config properly set up (ie: compiz works for you)

The plugins and config are rather minimal, but they seem to work well for me. Some seem to get better results trying the 'xrender' over 'opengl' in the advances section.

Comment

To try out KWin's desktop effects, you can find the settings to enable/disable and choose which ones by right-clicking on a window titlebar, select 'configure window behavior', then 'Desktop Effects'

This assumes you have your video card's config properly set up (ie: compiz works for you)
            Thanks!
            Very cool things to choose!
            (There is no need for any special setup for video card I think, as I have none.)

Add: Rightclick Kmenu and disable hover. That made me nearly crazy to have!

Comment

Hey even i had the same problem. When i turned on the desktop effects, every thing went black. Even when i reboot , a black screen appears. Hey any thing i could do in the recovery mode to roll on to previous settings??

Comment

delete your ~/.kde4 dir, tho this will give you a 'stock" kde 4 desktop again

rm -rf ~/.kde4

Comment

delete your ~/.kde4 dir, tho this will give you a 'stock" kde 4 desktop again
                  i've done that from the recovery mode.Still the same black screen again.

Comment

dunno. the settings for it are in /home/<your-username>/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc
                    make sure you delete that

Recovery mode probably uses a different user than your normal one, and '~/.kde4' is relative to the user you are logged in as. Somehow I have managed to never have used recovery mode from the grub menu.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                      dunno. the settings for it are in /home/<your-username>/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc
                      make sure you delete that

Recovery mode probably uses a different user than your normal one, and '~/.kde4' is relative to the user you are logged in as. Somehow I have managed to never have used recovery mode from the grub menu.
                      I think that is correct. Even so, he should still be able to delete that using sudo. Root should be able to see all home directories. I'm not sure but maybe recovery mode is owned by root.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                        I'm not sure but maybe recovery mode is owned by root.
                        It is.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

then my first command would delete the .kde4 dir for the wrong user as ~/.kde4 would be the user 'root', not the user srikar is using to log into kde

try
                          sudo rm -rf /home/<your-username>/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc
                          if that doesn't work, then nuke the whole kde4 dir
                          sudo rm -rf /home/<your-username>/.kde4

Comment

Working...
                          X