This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kde4 kdesudo problem

I have a strange problem. If i try and load adept or any other app which needs to do a kdesu(do) under kde4, instead of asking 'admin privileges required, enter your password' (as it does previously under kde3.X) it now requests the root password - which under ubuntu is not normally enabled so you are stuck.

Anyone know a way around this??

Re: Kde4 kdesudo problem

Nope, but the same happens to me

I think kdesu-kde4 is broken. The only workaround is to manually run kdesu instead of the KDE4 version

(I mean press <Alt>+F2, and manually type the command)

Comment

I have a feeling a bug report is in order

Currently, many of the KDE 4 packages seem to be broken.
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Well. Okular is working and is the-best-thing-ever (TM) .. and is worth the update by itself...

I was not sure whether to send a bug report, because it is not in the official gutsy repos, but if they will care, I'll go for that (and I'd start to file others as well)

Comment

You can alternately file a bug report at bugs.kde.org, but they're temporarily offline due to a KDE 4 celebration (See for yourself)
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

The workaround that I used was to open a terminal in kde4 and do:
            Code:
            sudo passwd
            just retype your normal (kubuntu user)password three times and all is set.

Yes it is a bug but workable. Probably worth doing a bug report.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by iano
              I have a strange problem. If i try and load adept or any other app which needs to do a kdesu(do) under kde4, instead of asking 'admin privileges required, enter your password' (as it does previously under kde3.X) it now requests the root password - which under ubuntu is not normally enabled so you are stuck.

Anyone know a way around this??
              In a terminal you can specify a password for root using

sudo passwd root

and then giving the new password for root. You will then be able to give this password when prompted by adept. It works for me, but I cannot tell you whether doing it in this way breaks something else. For the moment I am only trying to test KDE4 a little.

On a different note, I have found that I have the same packages twice, however, one set always indicates that it is for testing only and is not supported. The other indicates that they are the official KDE4 packages, but when I want to install some of them (like KDE4pim) they indicate that they would break the setup. I did not install any of the testing KDE4 packages and I only installed KDE4 from the final release (so no previous beta releases were installed either). Anybody knows anything about this?

l8r

Comment

Please don't create/enable the root password just for this purpose. This is already a known bug in kdesu4 (not being able to use sudo instead of su). In the meantime please use

Code:
                kdesudo appname
                for your kdesu needs.
                Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

I figured that out last night
                  Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

hey, i just saw a pretty good workaround solution for this site http://www.winterdom.com/weblog/

just add:

[super-user-command]
                    super-user-command=sudo

to ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals

Comment

Did not need to try that last work around.... latest updates have fixed that problem. I still have a few things to look at but it certainly is getting better. And yes, enabling root log in would have been a poor choice of solution indeed! Thanks all for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                      X