This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot install Virus Scanning data. - SOLVED

My company requires me to run a virus scanner, so I've been trying to get the scanner working on my new Gutsy install. I installed the scanner from the Add/Remove Software applet, but there are no virus definitions. It seems that when I install the clamav-data packages it removes the scanning software and vice versa. Maybe a dependency problem? I don't know, but it looks that way from my point of view. Or, maybe I don't understand which definitions I'm supposed to be using. Anyone got any advice or a link or something?

Thanks,
    Dave

Re: Cannot install Virus Scanning data.

Originally posted by dchicks
    My company requires me to run a virus scanner, so I've been trying to get the scanner working on my new Gutsy install. I installed the scanner from the Add/Remove Software applet, but there are no virus definitions. It seems that when I install the clamav-data packages it removes the scanning software and vice versa. Maybe a dependency problem? I don't know, but it looks that way from my point of view. Or, maybe I don't understand which definitions I'm supposed to be using. Anyone got any advice or a link or something?

Thanks,
    Dave
    :sigh: Has your company even heard of Linux? There are basically zero linux viruses 'in the wild'.

But anyway, run adept_manager (System > Adept Manager), and type 'clamav' in the search box.

You need to install the following packages: clamac, clamav-base, clamav-daemon, libclamav2 (select some may automatically select others) You may also want to install klamav for a GUI.

Then, you need ONE OF

clamav-freshclam, which will update your virus definitions automatically, obviously preferable.

OR

clamav-data, and clamav-getfiles. You need to update your definitions manually in this case.

clamav freshclam and clamav-data conflict with each other: if you install one, the other is removed. This is probably what's been causing your problems.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Re: Cannot install Virus Scanning data.

Yeah, they've heard of Linux. Me and one other guy don't miss an opportunity to remind them of its vast superiority.

Unfortunately, while Linux itself is relatively well vaccinated against catching a virus, it can certainly play host to files that contain them. That's what my guys are more concerned about because we have an office full of immune-deficient Windows boxes. That's the reason for requiring a scan on a regular basis. I don't mind it, and it makes them feel better.

Thanks for the input. The problem between freshclam and data was exactly what I was running into. With that information, I've managed to work my way around it.

Much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
      X