X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenOffice update

Hello.

I am new to Kubuntu and was wondering if it is safe to download and install the new version of OpenOffice (2.3.1). Will it replace automatically version 2.3.0 (that comes pre-installed with Kubuntu Gutsy)?

Re: OpenOffice update

Ok, just updated my OpenOffice to 2.3.1

[img width=400 height=285]http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/7808/snapshot1tj0.png[/img]

But now, Adept Updater is always warning me about that "There are 7 updated packages available" (want to downgrade to 2.3.0?!?). How can I permanently ignore packages with Adept Updater?

Comment

I am running OOo 2.3.1, having downloaded the .deb files from the Openoffice web-site. Once installed, the software works fine, however......:

I don't know whether it is necessary but I uninstalled 2.3.0 before installing 2.3.1.

I have found it necessary to force the installation of the core files to get round circular dependencies. For example core file one is dependent on core file 2 which itself is indicated to be dependent on core file 1!!! I haven't found a way to avoid this, other than to force the system to ignore the problem.

Also, since installation adept persists in offering an "upgrade" of the module packages (writer, calc etc) but the packages on offer are actually for 2.3.0. Agreeing to accept them will result in the removal of everything including the core files and replacement with Kubuntus 2.3.0, so don't do it. The little adept icon will also remain in the taskbar to remind you that 6 packages are available for "upgrade".

Given that Openoffice is a flag-ship application, I would have thought a certain amount of priority would be given to creating the packages when a new version becomes available, as seems to happen with Firefox for example. I understand Version 2.3.1 of OOo is primarily a bug-fix and security improvement version so I am not sure why we can't get this later version from the repositories.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        I am running OOo 2.3.1, having downloaded the .deb files from the Openoffice web-site. Once installed, the software works fine, however......:

I don't know whether it is necessary but I uninstalled 2.3.0 before installing 2.3.1.

I have found it necessary to force the installation of the core files to get round circular dependencies. For example core file one is dependent on core file 2 which itself is indicated to be dependent on core file 1!!! I haven't found a way to avoid this, other than to force the system to ignore the problem.

Also, since installation adept persists in offering an "upgrade" of the module packages (writer, calc etc) but the packages on offer are actually for 2.3.0. Agreeing to accept them will result in the removal of everything including the core files and replacement with Kubuntus 2.3.0, so don't do it. The little adept icon will also remain in the taskbar to remind you that 6 packages are available for "upgrade".
        I did more or less the same like you:

1) downloaded the .deb files from the OpenOffice.org;

2) uninstalled previous version in Adept Manager;

3) installed 2.3.1 using "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" .

and voilà! Didn't have to "force" anything...

Now, that little Adept icon in the taskbar is really annoying me (*sigh*) There must be a way to permanently ignore packages in Adept Manager...

Given that Openoffice is a flag-ship application, I would have thought a certain amount of priority would be given to creating the packages when a new version becomes available, as seems to happen with Firefox for example. I understand Version 2.3.1 of OOo is primarily a bug-fix and security improvement version so I am not sure why we can't get this later version from the repositories.

Ian
        Agree.

Comment

Just to update this one. Can anyone say what is the latest version in the repositories? Is it still 2.3.0?

Thanks

Ian

Comment

2.3.0 is what I'm showing as the current version (32-bit) in Gutsy.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

OK, thanks. Guess I'll stick with adept telling me there are 6 packages for upgrade

Comment

Are you running a 64-bit installation??
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No - Centrino Laptop

Comment

i've updated to 2.3.1 without issue. my about screen looks a bit different though... perhaps its cuz i'm on hardy x86.

[img width=400 height=293]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2149/snapshot6jy2.png[/img]
                    <br />

Comment

Hi

Your splash screen looks different because it's the generic OOo rather than the Ubuntu one. That's not a problem, However, you will probably find that adept thinks 6 packages need "upgrading". Don't do it, because you will uninstall 2.3.1 and "upgrade" to 2.3.0

Comment

Hi

Your splash screen looks different because it's the generic OOo rather than the Ubuntu one. That's not a problem, However, you will probably find that adept thinks 6 packages need "upgrading". Don't do it, because you will uninstall 2.3.1 and "upgrade" to 2.3.0
                        no, thats not right, i am using the official ubuntu packages. look at the build info.
                        <br />

Comment

OK, thanks. Guess I'll stick with adept telling me there are 6 packages for upgrade
                          I'm sure you can 'pin' a package version. But don't know if that will shut Adept-notifier up.
                          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Originally posted by echoes~
                            i've updated to 2.3.1 without issue. my about screen looks a bit different though... perhaps its cuz i'm on hardy x86.
                            May be Hardy comes with OOo 2.3.1 and they do not have 2.3.1 ready for Gutsy right now. I have Gutsy and Adept shows only 2.3.0 build. Is there any way to get OOo 2.3.1 for Gutsy through Adept?

It is important for me to get 2.3.1 because there seems to be an annoying bug in OOo 2.3.0-Ubuntu Calc. When I try to 'Select Data' in 'Chart Wizard', it does not let me do it by dragging the mouse around the data. I have to manually enter all the cell numbers which is not convenient.

Comment

Working...
                            X