This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defrag and Diskcheck

I'm still new and learning. I am always having to run a Registry checker/compactor, defrag and checkdisk utility in Windows but I have seen nothing about these in Kubuntu. For example, I like to install and try out new applications and then delete them if they are not to my liking. Wouldn't this defragment Kubunu the same way? Are there corresponding programs to Window's defrag and chkdsk utilities or "System Mechanic?" Would someone please do me the honor of educating me?
    Does Kubuntu need these? If so, how does one implement and use them?

Re: Defrag and Diskcheck

Defragment and other clean up utilities?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

About defragmentation and defrag tools
      From ext3 wiki (you probably use ext3)
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3
      Defragmentation

There is no online ext3 defragmentation tool working on the filesystem level. An offline ext2 defragmenter, e2defrag, exists but requires that the ext3 filesystem be converted back to ext2 first. But depending on the feature bits turned on the filesystem, e2defrag may destroy data; it does not know how to treat many of the newer ext3 features.[4]

There are userspace defragmentation tools like Shake[2] and defrag[3], which work by copying each file and hoping the newly allocated file was not fragmented. However this only works if the filesystem is reasonably empty, and such filesystems are not usually fragmented. A true defragmentation tool does not exist for ext3 [4].

However, as the Linux System Administrator Guide[5] states, "Modern Linux filesystem(s) keep fragmentation at a minimum by keeping all blocks in a file close together, even if they can't be stored in consecutive sectors. Some filesystems, like ext3, effectively allocate the free block that is nearest to other blocks in a file. Therefore it is not necessary to worry about fragmentation in a Linux system."

About diskcheck
      As a default K/X/Ubuntu will run fsck (check and repair a Linux file system) at the every (about) 30th boot.

Ways to change this:
      Topic: Fsck on Shutdown
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088866.0
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

There's a lot to read here, but if you're REALLY curious .....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=defrag

Comment

Originally posted by scorpiusmaximus
          I'm still new and learning. I am always having to run a Registry checker/compactor, defrag and checkdisk utility in Windows but I have seen nothing about these in Kubuntu. For example, I like to install and try out new applications and then delete them if they are not to my liking. Wouldn't this defragment Kubunu the same way? Are there corresponding programs to Window's defrag and chkdsk utilities or "System Mechanic?" Would someone please do me the honor of educating me?
          Does Kubuntu need these? If so, how does one implement and use them?
          Your disks will be checked automatically, something like every 30th boot. The checking tool is called fsck, but it should not be used when the system is running.

Linux filesystems are designed to not fragment. However, if you let them get very full then they might.

Linux does not have a registry (although the GNOME desktop has a similar idea). Programs create configuration files, commonly in /etc or hidden in your home directory. When uninstalling, choose 'Purge' or similar to remove configuration files, or ordinary Remove to leave them (which I recommend in most cases). However, if you are installing what is in the repositories, even quite large amounts of software are unlikely to cause conflicts, so you don't need to remove things unless you want the disk space or feel they may pose security risks.

Speaking of security: Linux does not really need a virus scanner as there are very few Linux viruses in existence. ClamAV is available if you insist though. If you are dual booting, you could use it to scan your Windows partition.

A firewall is more useful. Linux firewall programs are actually configuration tools for the inbuilt capabilities of the kernel. Try Firestarter. You should also check what services are running - you can use the KDE control center to do this.
          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Cantab
            That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for! Clear, concise and to the point. I do not think you could have answered my questions (and thoughts) more precisely without unnecessary fluff.
            Thanks for all the other responses too.
            Linux forums are very helpful but if answers were given like this one there would be a lot less time searching forums for answers.
            Kudos!

Comment

Working...
            X