This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local Printers Option in CUPS Went Away

I'm trying to install a printer on v7.10 machine - it's a USB connected HP842C, and I installed it and printed a test page (after going through the hassle of getting CUPS to let me enter a password of course). Anyway, it worked, but I could not get sharing to work. So after messing around with that for a long while, I saw that I had print jobs through, but that they were not printing. Then I realized that I could no print locally anymore either.

I eventually uninstalled the printer, figuring I would reinstall it, but CUPS has other ideas. Now the "local Pinter" selection on the printer install wizard is grayed out! Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to fix this?

The system is seeing the printer on the USB port when I look at the hardware listing.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Local Printers Option in CUPS Went Away

Looks like Snowhog may have already found this one http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089866.0 I'll try it.

Comment

Well, no joy so far. Which makes sense I suppose, as I had already installed it once before and it worked, and I did not uninstall or upgrade anything.

Comment

How is your printer connected - USB or parallel?

Did you do a normal shutdown, turn on the printer and wait for it to announce 'ready' and then reboot?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's a USB connection - I did the complete shutdown and restart, however I don't think that is it. The local printer checkbox is for all types of local printers (parallel, etc.), and on my other systems it does not appear that a printer even has to be connected to have that option active. Perhaps I will uninstall and re-install CUPS.

Comment

No, I don't believe you do. You have to select the right USB entry. The first time I chose, I chose wrong. The problem, is that the USB entries aren't very well described!
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The entire local printer line is grayed out, so I have no option of selecting one there. However, I tried the "other" selection, and was able to install it that way, and can print a test page to it. Now however, it is no longer shared properly, so I'm almost back to where I started, only one day later. That's about right for Kubuntu - one full day staying up to all odd hours just to perform a simple, typical task. Of course, it's not shared yet either.

I appreciate your help, I've just grown weary of this whole experiment - I'm afraid I'm going to have to go back to Windows, as I simply do not have time for things as poorly sorted out as this is. But that is for another post.

Comment

I got the sharing working after rebooting all the machines. The "local printers" selection is still grayed out, but it will have to remain yet another mystery.

Comment

Working...
                X