X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entire Taskbar Gone!!

Help!

Maybe I did something accidentally, but my entire taskbar is gone. I had it set to autohide. Usually, all I have to do is drag the mouse down and the taskbar pops up, and it worked great until this morning. Now I can't access it at all.

I can still run applications with right click > run command, but I need the taskbar back.

Can anyone suggest a reason why this might happen, and a possible solution.

Thanks,
    Matt

Re: Entire Taskbar Gone!!

Can you see the icons but the background is gone because you can put is so you can see the icons but the task bar hope this helps
    I love fairy's i would love to become one as they are so beautiful and special. I changed my name it used to be amber123.

Comment

Originally posted by amber123
      Can you see the icons but the background is gone because you can put is so you can see the icons but the task bar hope this helps
      No, it's gone altogether. I can get it to reappear using ALT+F2 and doing a reconfiguration, but when I restart it goes away again.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewSchenker

Maybe I did something accidentally, but my entire taskbar is gone.
        You say "taskbar" but do really mean taskbar, or do you mean panel? If it is just the taskbar, then you still have a panel, so you can right-click on the panel and choose "add applet" and choose "taskbar" and get it back.

If your panel is gone too, then I think you need to do Alt-F2, "kcontrol" then "Desktop>Panels>Hiding" and un-hide it.

Comment

dibl,
          Sorry I was typing when you posted. I did the ALT+F2 thing, but when I restart the whole thing is gone again.
          I guess I do mean "panel" -- the object that contains the K menu, clock, Klipper, other applets, and multiple desktops.
          Matt

Comment

IF YOU WANT TO TURN IT OFF OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT AT THE SAME TIME CLICK ON CTR L,ALT AND DELETE. DOES THAT HELP
            I love fairy's i would love to become one as they are so beautiful and special. I changed my name it used to be amber123.

Comment

One note: when I do the ALT+F2, the panel settings are correct. In other words, I am not changing anything when I run KControl. I just run KControl > Panel then close it. That brings the panel back up for the current session. But it's gone again when I restart.

This is not good, as I share the computer with my wife, who is not computer savvy!

Comment

Might be beneficial to look at the kickerrc file. Open Konqueror and navigate to your 'home location' then click on View | Show Hidden Files

Click on the .kde folder then the share folder and then the config folder. The file kickerrc can be edit normaly - it is owned by the user. Check this section:

[General]
                AutoHideDelay=3
                AutoHidePanel=false
                AutoHideSwitch=false
                BackgroundHide=false

The above is what mine looks like. My panel displays properly on boot.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry for the delay in responding. I did what Snowhog suggested, changing my kickerrc file to look the way his is shown. Now my panel is there, and it comes back when I restart without problems.

Still mystified why it disapeeared, but it's probably something I did.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Glad that it worked.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It happened again this morning. Perhaps it has to do with the faulty updates?

Comment

I used to get what appears to be the same problem when I had the 'Panel Hiding buttons' option set. if you right click on a blank part of the Panel, select 'Configure Panel, then select 'Hiding' you will see a section entitled 'Panel Hiding Buttons' with two checkboxes. If either of these are checked you will have a very small button at the very ends of the panel. Clicking on one of these buttons will cause the panel to scroll up into a tiny blob in the bottom corner of the screen. If you don't know the blob is there you probably won't notice it. Clicking on the blob restores the panel.

Now to the point, my panel used to disappear in a mystifying manner. After many occurrences of disappearing panels, head-scratching, fiddling around until they reappeared only to to have them disappear again some time later I discovered that I had been accidentally clicking on these when trying to access things in the bottom corners of the screen. When I unchecked the [censored] boxes mentioned above the problem was cured and I have since had many months of grief free Panel use.

I don't know if you are suffering from the same, but it's a thought.

Cheers, Kimdino

Comment

Kimdino,
                          I don't have any panel hiding buttons set on my system. I have the panel hide automatically immediately after the mouse pointer leaves the panel area.

I got it working again. This might be related to the recent updates that were causing some problems.

Comment

I also have my panel set to hide immediately after I move the mouse away.

I don't have any panel hiding buttons.

My panel also suddenly stops appearing. I have now added a desktop shortcut 'kcmshell panel', when the panel dissapears I can click the shortcut and reapply my seetings.

Strangely the panel configuration claims the panel is set to hide after 0 seconds, so I have to change it to something else and back to 0 for it reappear.

When I click on the above shortcut I receive an error message -

kcmshell - KDialog
                            Will not save configuration.

Configuration
                            file "/home/gloopy/.kde/share/config/kcmshellrc"
                            not writable.

Please contact your system administrator.
                            Yet it is writable!!

Comment

I'm thinking that this panel problem is related to some recent update. I went for a while never having this issue, but in the past couple of weeks it seems to happen on a regular basis. I guess my only real option is to make the panel appear all the time, even though I prefer the auto-hide option.

I share this computer with my wife, who is not technically adept, so I can't expect her to run an application every time she needs to use the panel!

I'd be very happy if someone could nail down what causes this to happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X