X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Cant Log Out

I cant log out i think I've tried everything can somebody help

When i try to logout all that happens is it automatically logs me back in again I've tried logging out, installing gdm and then logging out and using ctrl+alt+backspace and the same thing happens

Re: I Cant Log Out

Have you got auto-login turned on in System Settings -> Advanced -> Login Manager -> Convenience?

Comment

I had but when this started to happen i turned it off again

Comment

Please describe the exact steps you are taking to log out.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi all. I'm having a related issue with kubuntu 7.10 on a Dell Inspiron 1520.
          I must say first that i'm impressed of how easy it is to install kubuntu (i'm using Linux since 2000 and i tried many distributions, but ubuntu/kubuntu are by far the most user friendly) . Very good job, ubuntu guys!
          Apart from some issues like the wireless access and the video drivers (which i got working with the help of the community) everything worked from the first run.

But to get back to the issue. I cannot log out! When i try to log out instead of the login prompt my screen just freezes. Nothing works anymore and i have to restart my machine. Also if i switch users and i try to turn off the machine from one of the users i get to the same result.
          In both situations I cannot even get to the text console, it's just unusable - everything stops responding.

Comment

What happens if you open a Konsole window and enter
            Code:
            sudo shutdown now
            ?

Comment

even i have the same problem , but from the terminal every thing works fine.From terminal type the following commands.

to shutdown

Code:
              poweroff

to restart

Code:
              reboot
              *note to use following commands u need to be root. To be root .
              Code:
              sudo -i

Comment

Nothing works after i try to log out. I cannot get to the console (otherwise i would have used the commands).
                The machine freezes. Anyway, i do not want to reboot the machine. I want to properly log out and to properly switch users. Is there any solution?

Comment

I cannot get to the console
                  can u be little specific.

Comment

Working...
                  X