This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Problem in playin videos : )

I use ubuntu gutsy. When i play videos in vlc n other players , the video display is distorted (displays vertical lines). even the default .ogg formatdisplay is distorted. What may be the problem how to solve it?

Re: Problem in playin videos : (

it seems to be unsolvable. i tried a lot. any body plzz help me out

Comment

If you can get DVDs to play 'correctly' you may solve the other problem.

Follow the instructions in my HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

i followed as u said in that thread . installation went fine. even the codecs got updated. But when i play video i see distorted video with its normal sound.This is same in case of my friends systems. How to solve it

Comment

does this happen to all videos?
          does it happen in another player besides vlc (mplayer, kaffeine, etc) ?

it can very well be a codec problem, or perhaps some video issues

Comment

it happens with all video formats including .ogg , and also the distortion is same in all the players.

Comment

I don't mean to be a smart arse, but ogg is not a video format. It is an audio format. ogm is a container type for video and it may contain ogg audio (or not).

Comment

when i r.click on that video and see its properties its in .ogg format.But the thing is i am unable to play any videoformats.Plzz look at that problem.

Comment

You might not like my idea, but I have had a similar problem of bad-quality video in the past (and other software problems too) and what I do is back up my data and do a clean install the operating system. My objective is to have full functionality with the minimum amount of software. It takes time and effort but I learn something every time! My present install if Kubuntu Gutsy has been working well now for about four weeks, I would say, and does everything I want it to.

You probably have too many codecs and other software installed, causing Kubuntu to be "confused".

Comment

if i remember correctly vlc uses its own codecs and they generally work, so i would suspect there may be something else.
                    just to be certain: do you have mplayer installed and w32codecs? give them a try! if that does not work either and you are certain that those clips are not corrupted, then obviously the problem has nothing to do with the video software.
                    i did have some troubles with video players when i did not correctly installed my (closed) video drivers and selected an inappropriate video output in the player.

Comment

i think linux doent need drivers. But in the intel site i have found drivers for my motherboard for linux.Shall i install them. Installing video driver may fix the problem i guess. please comment.

Comment

there is no need to install drivers for most things. video cards (recent ati's, nvidia's) may require them to work at their full potential. what video card do you have?
                        you say you installed mplayer and w32codecs and it did not improve things.
                        try to open mplayer and go to Preferences > Video and choose gl or gl2, restart the player and play the file again; normally they would play slower but there should not be any other problem; if this behavior occurs only when xv is selected, then it most likely is a driver issue.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Problem in playin videos : )

however the problem got solved. my motherboard is third party intel chipset. So in the system settings onboard ati graphics driver(under restricted drivers) was not enabled. I enabled it. Now every thing rocks.

Comment

Working...
                          X