This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireFox 3.0

Noticed FireFox 3.0 was in the Repos. Is this the official release? I know it was slated for a very soon release date. Anybody tried this yet? Have a laptop a rebuilt for work. I'm going to try it there to see, just wanted to know if anyone else has installed this.

Re: FireFox 3.0

I would not install it, especially if you dont know what you are doing.
    I mean you can try it yes but do back up your .mozilla folder in your directory, its a hidden file so you will have to unhide it.
    just open your home folder and once konqueror opens go to view in the menu and then click on "show hidden files"
    after this just right click on the .mozilla folder and select "copy"
    now where to save the backup to is up to you, as long as you dont copy it in the home folder its good... me i copied it to a custom folder I call "stuff" where i put all my installers and such

Comment

Not to concerned with messing up a test system. Installed it and it works great! Only problem is there doesn't appear to be any themes out there yet. Flash installed perfectly and seemed to have no issues, at least with the Flash sites I know and use. Other video played great as well. Runs smoothly. No problems here.

Comment

Do you mean ?: Version: 3.0~alpha8+nobinonly-0ubuntu1
        lightweight web browser based on Mozilla (Development Version)
        Firefox is a redesign of the Mozilla browser component, similar to
        Galeon, K-Meleon and Camino, but written using the XUL user interface
        language and designed to be lightweight and cross-platform.

This browser was previously known as Firebird and Phoenix.

This is a build of a random development version (aka trunk). It is meant for preview
        and not for production use.

Beta is out: Firefox 3 Beta 2 now available for download
        http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews...-for-download/

Bleeding edge:
        http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o.../latest-trunk/

Only problem is there doesn't appear to be any themes out there yet. Flash installed perfectly and seemed to have no issues, at least with the Flash sites I know and use. Other video played great as well. Runs smoothly. No problems here.
        Yes (trying beta) most things work. But some add-ons do not work.

Standad note from Firefox:
        Please note: We do not recommend that anyone other than developers and testers download the Firefox 3 Beta 2 milestone release. It is intended for testing purposes only.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Adept says its from a "random build" "aka trunk"? Either way, it runs very well for a pre-release. Not use to that.

Comment

How's it doing with extensions? I use Swiftfox, and they recently started building from trunk instead of releases, so I randomly got 3.0a one day... I quickly brought back 2.0.0.11 and pinned it there. Almost no extensions worked.
            For external use only.

Comment

Let me restate: Themes and Extensions are the only problem area I've seen. They don't appear to exist for 3.0. DownThemAll is the only Extension I have installed so my testing of that would be somewhat pitiful to really say for sure, but I do know that there are none that specifically state for 3.0 and the current 2.x versions don't work at all.

Comment

Ah, too bad...
                Guess I'll be waiting for a stable release to see Firefox 3.0.
                For external use only.

Comment

I agree. Everything else seems fine, just the Themes and Extensions everybody uses don't seem to be there yet .

Comment

I'm amazed. Didn't 2.0 just come out not long ago? Nice turnaround!
                    I don't have any extensions or add ons installed, and no themes either! Sounds like it would be safe to install 3.0.
                    Matt

Comment

Get the latest version from the mozilla website, there are several improvements and changes from the one in the ubuntu repos.

You don't really need to 'install' it as such. Just extract into your home folder and run firefox from there!

The mozilla build will use .mozilla/firefox as the profile directory, as does the stable version 2 in the ubuntu repos. The version 3 in the repos however uses .mozilla/firefox-3.0, so if that's what you were using previously, copy that to .mozilla/firefox

And yeah, most extensions don't work with it. But to be honest that's going to be an issue even when the release version comes out, it may take time for extension authors to catch up.

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewSchenker
                        I'm amazed. Didn't 2.0 just come out not long ago? Nice turnaround!
                        Oh, they've been working on 3.0 since around 1.5.
                        Funny, eh?
                        For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by cantab
                          Get the latest version from the mozilla website, there are several improvements and changes from the one in the ubuntu repos.

You don't really need to 'install' it as such. Just extract into your home folder and run firefox from there!

The mozilla build will use .mozilla/firefox as the profile directory, as does the stable version 2 in the ubuntu repos. The version 3 in the repos however uses .mozilla/firefox-3.0, so if that's what you were using previously, copy that to .mozilla/firefox

And yeah, most extensions don't work with it. But to be honest that's going to be an issue even when the release version comes out, it may take time for extension authors to catch up.

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if they are going to make plugins a little easier to install?

Comment

With 3.0b3pre:

The following add-ons are not compatible with this version of...

Accessibar 0.7.7
                            Bookmark Duplicate Detector 0.6.3
                            ColorfulTabs 2.0.7
                            Firefox Showcase 0.9.4.3
                            KDEFF 0.4
                            PDF DDownload 0.9.3.2
                            Redirect Remover 2.5.3
                            Tabbrowser Preferences 1.3.1.1
                            Winestripe 1.2.2
                            Working:
                            Addblock Plus 0.7.5.3
                            Addblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper 1.0.2
                            Flashblock 1.5.4.1
                            FlashGot 0.7
                            ScrapBook 1.3.2
                            Link:
                            First Look at Firefox 3.0 Beta 2
                            http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1061

Does anyone know if they are going to make plugins a little easier to install?
                            Hmm - there is "Plugins" tab in the Add-ons window and -> Get Plugins link to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7
                            Attached Files
                            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                            X