This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept Installer not allowing selection of uninstalled entries

I'm new to Linux, but with Vista as the Windows OS of the future I thought I should look elsewhere. I had previously used wubi to install Feisty Fawn from Windows and was able to use the Adept Package Manager to add in extras, such as Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. without any problems. When I tried to upgrade to Gutsy Gibbon, I received many errors during the installation process, which then hung up mid process and left my Ubuntu unbootable. I then uninstalled wubi, downloaded Gutsy to a CD and have installed it alongside XP (sometimes it is handy for compatibility with other systems). It installed without any errors and I have not had any problems with getting it to connect to Internet, however I have tried to run the Add/Remove Programs to add Firefox and other utilities but the additional packages are greyed out (unselectable). Prior to entering the selections, I of course get the KdeSudo prompt for my password to allow access, so I don't understand why I cannot add any new packages. Does anyone have any help for this newbie?

Re: Adept Installer not allowing selection of uninstalled entries

Use Adept Manager (K Menu | Systems | Adept Manager). When you have Adept Manger open, you need to click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, ensure that all items are checked (you don't need the last one (sources) unless you intend to download source code for compilation). On the Third-Party tab (I believe that is the one) you need to uncheck or delete the CD rom repository. Close and Adept should update itself. You can then select for installation, packages from the listing. This is the preferred way to install packages.

You will propably want to install the Medibuntu repository so you can get and install the required codecs for playing mp3 files and DVD movies. If you look in the Documentation | How To's section for my HOWTO on getting commercial DVDs to play in Kaffeine, you will find the instructions for doing this.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep, what Snowhog said, plus you want to remove the CD ROM from the repository list -- that might be what is keeping it from working.

Comment

Many thanks for the help Snowhog. I am up and running on Firefox.

Comment

Glad to have been of assistance.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X