• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz fusion

I tried to run compiz but i got this output:

******@*******:~$ compiz --replace
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    No whitelisted driver found
    SKIP_CHECKS is yes, so continuing despite problems.
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
    Trying again with indirect rendering:
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
    Checking for non power of two support: present.
    Checking for Composite extension: not present.
    SKIP_CHECKS is yes, so continuing despite problems.
    Checking for nVidia: not present.
    Checking for FBConfig: present.
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Starting emerald
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No composite extension
    exec: 378: /usr/bin/metacity: not found
    jony@jony-desktop:~$
    (emerald:6831): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

does anyone know what went wrong and how can i fix this?

Re: Compiz fusion

Originally posted by Jony

does anyone know what went wrong and how can i fix this?
    It looks like your video driver does not have glx or XGL enabled correctly, so you have to go back to that phase of the compiz process. If you are using an Nvidia graphics chip, you have to be able to run
    Code:
    glxgears
    before Emerald and Compiz will function correctly. If you have an ATI chip, well ... you need an ATI-expert to advise you!

Comment

unfortunately i have a ati graphics card but thx for the help anyway.

i tried your command xglgears and a window pops up with some gears rolling, was that just a check to see if it works?

Comment

Got it working i found a great software called ENVY and it fixed all the problems and downloaded the latest drivers if anyone else needs help with this kind of stuff it should be one of the first links in google.

Comment

Yep.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

I should have thought of that -- didn't realize the video driver might not even be installed. :P

Comment

I am hoping that you can help me on getting Compiz-Fusion running. I have downloaded the packages through Adept Manager. I also updated the video drivers for my system to the nVidia drivers. I run a Lenovo T61 with the “nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M 128MB”.

But after all that I can not see where to start the Compiz-Fusion. I want this running and the AWN bar at the bottom, but that is another hurdle I will jump later.

I am comfortable around Linux – not proficient.

Thank you

Comment

First verify that your Nvidia driver is ready to support glx. Open the Konsole and enter
              Code:
              glxgears
              Let us know whether you see the gears spinning, and what the fps rate is (let it run for a minute or two, so it has a chance to print 4 or 5 lines of output).

Comment

It gave me the gears . Here is the output

21820 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4363.830 FPS
                22305 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4460.900 FPS
                22501 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4500.152 FPS
                22341 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4468.188 FPS
                22430 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4485.949 FPS
                22317 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4463.297 FPS

Thanks for the reply and help. I await the next step. Eye candy here I come.

Comment

Open Adept Manger. Mark for installation, the following packages;

compiz-core
                  compiz-fuion-plugins-extra
                  compiz-fusion-plugins-main
                  compiz-kde
                  compiz-plugins
                  compizconfig-settins-manager
                  emerald
                  libcompizconfig-backend-kconfig
                  libcompizconfig0
                  libdecoration0
                  libemeraldengine0
                  python-compizconfig

Once installed, open a console and type:
                  Code:
                  compiz
                  In K Menu | Settings you will see Advanced Desktop Effects Settings. This is the effects manager for Compiz.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the help. Everything worked immediately but....

Some things are odd

1 - Immediately my 4 desktops each with unique wallpaper, became 8 desktops with one wallpaper. When I went into the configuration for desktops it still had 4 - but I had 8 (or so it seems). I changed to two, and now I have 4.

2 - I lost the title bar to some apps. For example Openoffice is missing the title bar. Is because this is not true KDE app? Or is there a setting I can adjust in Compiz settings tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Funnyname

1 - Immediately my 4 desktops each with unique wallpaper, became 8 desktops with one wallpaper. When I went into the configuration for desktops it still had 4 - but I had 8 (or so it seems). I changed to two, and now I have 4.
                      Compiz multiplies your KDE multi-desktops by the horizontal size in "General". Right click your Kubuntu desktop and choose "configure>multiple" and change it from 2 to 1. Then open your desktop effects settings, open the "General" icon, and set horizontal size to 4. That should give you a cube.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. What of the other problem - no title bar - do you have any ideas on that one.

When I got to work I uninstalled the compiz files and I have the title bars back - so I would have to say this is where the issue is. I know that you can always close the apps with alt-f4 or ctrl-q but I could not move the app around or resize either.

I will reinstall compiz - in the meantime is there a way to have it installed and not run it. Or does it run all the time once installed.

I do appreciate the help. Once I have this running on the laptop, I want to load this on a home machine.

Comment

There is a known conflict (aka "bug") in Open Office, when you are running the compiz eye-candy. There's a bit of documentation somewhere on this forum, I just can't put my hands on it at the moment. You won't fix it by re-installing anything, however.

Compiz wants to start automatically in Kubuntu. I also run Mepis 7, and in that you have to turn it on every time. I haven't tried to control the startup in Kubuntu, but you might want to look in the hidden folder .kde/Autostart in your home directory (open Konqueror, click "view>hidden files". There might be something in there to toggle whether compiz starts.

EDIT: http://www.kubuntu.org/doc/7.10/conf...op/C/tips.html

Comment

Thanks for all your help in this matter. I re-installed Compiz and set it up as you said - cube works -

This title bar thing those does bug me. It is not just in OOo. It is in all apps so far I have tested. Pysol, Firefox, OOo, Amarok. It would not be so bad if I could atleast see the KDE panel at the top.

What about Desktop wallpaper - is there anyway to have different wallpaper on each of the desktops. Similarly, I have SuperKaramba loaded with the Full Monitor widget loaded, set for all desktops - but it loads on only one.

On a related note I noticed some screen grabs that have a 6 sided cube, with the top being the OS symbol. How is that possible and what key-combination gives this.?

So many question - so little time. I will continue to play with it and check back here often for updates if there are any suggestions. Would Beryl be a better choose?

Again thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Funnyname

Again thanks for all the help.
                              You are welcome -- enjoy it!

Google for the OO-compiz compatibility issue -- I think there are some mitigating things you can do. I assume you are running the Emerald window decorator? If not, try it - I have not noticed a problem with Amarok or any other windows except OO apps, so it might be that your window decorator isn't quite right.

If you open the "Desktop Effects Settings Manager" and choose the "Desktop Cube" icon, I believe it is "Appearances" where you can choose whether you want cube caps or not, and if so, what graphic you want on them. Likewise for the skydome, and whether it moves when you rotate the cube.

I assume if you leave your KDE desktop set to "1" and then in ccsm "general" set the horizontal size to 6, you'll get a six-sided "cube" -- OK, it's not a cube, it's a hexatron or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X