Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cannot install new programs or update with adept.

More to do with speed to be honest and Microsofts plot for world domination, does help the problem of running low on IPs but no matter what anyone says we're not really. A few years ago everyone was running USB modems and yes the IPs were being taken up, now you have a situation with anything from 1 to 10 people in an average household all running from one central router which has the IPV4 external IP address and all the internal IPs could be the same as the house next door they wouldn't cause a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Do you, can you, bypass the router?
      Bypass it for what? Accessing the internet? No, firewall? Yes have turned it off and made no difference. If you mean DNS lookup then yeah next thing am going to try and setting my DNS on the machine as our ISPs external DNS servers instead of looking at the router stacks.

Comment

As you are a 2nd Line Senior IT technician, this 'dated' link on issues with dual stack ipv6 on by default might (or might not) be of some help? I didn't read it through, but it does, early in the document, talk about the problem with routers and the protocol.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by prodigal64Bit
          More to do with speed to be honest and Microsofts plot for world domination, does help the problem of running low on IPs but no matter what anyone says we're not really. A few years ago everyone was running USB modems and yes the IPs were being taken up, now you have a situation with anything from 1 to 10 people in an average household all running from one central router which has the IPV4 external IP address and all the internal IPs could be the same as the house next door they wouldn't cause a problem.
          No argument from me on that. I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            As you are a 2nd Line Senior IT technician, this 'dated' link on issues with dual stack ipv6 on by default might (or might not) be of some help? I didn't read it through, but it does, early in the document, talk about the problem with routers and the protocol.
            Thanks Snowhog but I fixed it. We have a D-Link router here (Which I hate but got it free and can't find Zyxels out here at a reasonable price) and Linux appears to not like the DNS stack on the D-Link router very much. As soon as I set the DNS servers to our ISPs external DNS servers everything works. See the problem is because I deal with Windows mostly at work I forget to check things like this in Linux because I'm not as confident with it as I am with Windows. Don't get me wrong I know my way around but I'm a Windows Technician and a Linux USER if you catch my drift?

Comment

Don't get me wrong I know my way around but I'm a Windows Technician and a Linux USER if you catch my drift?
              Well, first, glad to hear that you got the problem resolved! That's what counts. And to your last statement, yes, I catch your drift. I have to use Windoze at work. I dumped Windoze on my home laptop a few weeks ago. Pure Linux now. I do run Win XP on my Gutsy install, using VMware Player (Bill-in-a-box) for my personal finances - I use Quicken, and have not found a Linux substitute that I like.

If you will do the Forum a favor, go back to your first post, click the modify button, and add SOLVED - to the subject line.

Now, go put a shrimp on the bar-b!

Comment

Re: Cannot install new programs or update with adept. [FIXED]

Yeah have put Fixed in the title already, We're actually from the UK we just live in NZ and it's only the Aussies who say that lol.

Comment

Re: Cannot install new programs or update with adept. [FIXED]

it's only the Aussies who say that lol.
                  Well, when in Rome .....

Comment

Working...
                  X