This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu VERY slow

I am running a fresh install of Ubuntu Gutsy on my compac nc6000 Laptopand installed Kubuntu-desktop
    it was running very nice and super smooth
    but due to skim problems under KDE I mainly use Gnome
    two days ago I installed the restricted drivers and enabled compiz under Gnome
    now if I switch to KDE (whenever I don't need to use chinese that is ) it became sooo incredibly slow that it is a pain using it

does it have anything to do with installing compiz and enabling ATI driver under Gnome?
    and how to solve it?

thanks

lanchongzi

Re: Kubuntu VERY slow

The first thing to look at, is whether you are still running the strigi daemon. If it is still installed and running at startup, consider either uninstalling the strigidaemon or at least disabling it from running at startup, and see if you see a difference in the speed.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Actually my system has suddenly gotten slow as well.. I'm uninstalling Strigi now hopefully that will help.

Kev

Comment

what about "libstrigihtmlgui0" "libcluceneindex0" "libsearchclient0" "libstreamanalyzer0" "libstreams0" ?

do I have to uninstall them too?

Comment

I tried with strigi and another one ( forgot the name ) but without the above mentioned ones
          and it is still slow very sloooooooow
          no fun at all

does it have anything to do with compiz being installed under Gnome ( same machine )?

Comment

Originally posted by lanchongzi
            what about "libstrigihtmlgui0" "libcluceneindex0" "libsearchclient0" "libstreamanalyzer0" "libstreams0" ?

do I have to uninstall them too?
            The only one you need to uninstall is the strigi-daemon package. Leave the others alone. I found by mistake, that removing *all* strigi related packages had a negative effect on my sound - it stopped working. I reinstalled all the packages I uninstalled and had sound again. So, if you are going to uninstall, just uninstall strigi-daemon.

Comment

After reading this thread, this morning, I removed just the strigi-daemon package, and I notice quite an improvement in "snappiness." The Adept message I got was, Done except Unable to commit all changes...because it might break some other packages... (or something like that), and maybe that's what it's referring to--if you take out those other"related" packages, it might mess up some apps that depend upon them.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

my problem remains
                maybe installing compiz-kde helps - I just don't want to **** up my computer again
                kinda need it for work now
                and reinstalling and recustomizing would be a pain in the a**
                plus Gnome works perfectly well ( and looks friggin sweet )
                but i want to be able to use my KDE as well
                it is just a different feeling between the two
                I really like both very much

I really found my computerlove in Linux
                never was willing spending time with windows before - just wasn't nice to use at all

Comment

When you say VERY slow, its because even to move your mouse pointer its a miracle?
                  I had that problem when i just updated to Gutsy. Do you have installed the "xserver-xgl" package?
                  I removed it and after that my PC works like a charm.

Comment

Open up a terminal and type:
                    Code:
                    leave the terminal open and go about your work as usual.
                    Top will show you a listing of running apps and their cpu / ram usage.

After a while you should be able to pin point the app and or service that is hogging your resources.
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Israfel_21
                      When you say VERY slow, its because even to move your mouse pointer its a miracle?
                      I had that problem when i just updated to Gutsy. Do you have installed the "xserver-xgl" package?
                      I removed it and after that my PC works like a charm.
                      sorry for not responding in such a long time I was quite busy with study and work

so I checked in Synaptic and here it says :
                      xserver-xgl
                      GL-based X server
                      Xgl provides a GL-based X server, performing its drawing through a GL stack.
                      In combination with a GL-based compositing manager, this allows for high-speed
                      transformations of windows.

I checked on the web for xserver-XGl and it looks as I would need it to run compiz
                      is there a way to close it while use KDE? like this I wouldn't have compiz - but under KDE there is no need for it anyways.
                      i was running the system monitor ( in Gnome ) and XGL is using most of the resources
                      but I am running compiz fushion with an ATI card - which is the biggest hassle of all - time consuming ATI crap
                      and I would like to have it in KDE as well, but it is so slow that even the four little dots next to the window preview in the task list is taking forever - one at a time is slowly coming to live , I feel like watching evolution in slow motion, the mouse however is fast.

Comment

Alt+F2 and type kwin --replace to start kwin
                        You can restart compiz the same way with compiz --replace

Comment

thanks snowhog I will try immediately

tried it but still it is slow like hell
                          the thing is that inside an app it is not slow but opening or switching windows is an eternity

Comment

so kwin --replace didn't do anyhing
                            but removing xserver-Xgl worked - well, now compiz is gone under my Gnome desktop
                            can't these two thing coexist?

anyhow, now KDE works and the only thing i used in compiz was the scale plugin anyways, which i can have under KDE ( just forgot how it was called - I'll figure it out )
                            but after 5 min or so my panels disappear

will have to search for that one

thanks anyway - for all your help

and a happy new year everyone

Comment

Working...
                            X