This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Firefox please

Hi guys, first of all i want to say that i love Kubuntu. I was convinced by a buddy to give it a try and i absolutely love it, it's everything i could want in an OS and more, but i am definitely a novice, that's for sure.

My problem lies with firefox. I want to be able to stream WMV's from websites in my browser but i can't do it. I have attached a snapshot of my browser file type page for firefox, and as you can see i don't have a choice on the actual plugin i can use inside the browser itself. I do have mplayer and the mozilla plugin for mplayer installed along with VLC, Kmplayer, and Kaffeine although i think Kaffeine was installed by default with the OS

I have searched as much as i can on the forums already and still have not found a definitive way to get this working for me.

Kubuntu is a perfect OS all but for this problem, if someone can help me get it fixed it'd make my day.
    Attached Files

Re: Need help with Firefox please

Do you have mozilla-mplayer installed? That should provide the plugin needed.

kmplayer-base may be needed as well.

Comment

Yes i have the plugin installed. I can't choose any plugin though firefox except windows media player, which is even stranger because i don't have any WMP plugins in my firefox plugin directory, but i do have a load of mplayer plugins there, but i can't figure out how to select 'em.

Comment

In an empty tab of FireFox in the address bar type aboutlugins. That will list all plugins being used by FireFox. See if MPlayer is listed there.

Comment

What about mplayer itself. Does Adept Manager show that it is installed?

Comment

Yes it is, it's listed for almost all of my plugins for some reason. I mean WMP, quicktime, DivX, and Realplayer all seem to be using mplayer. I attached a pic of the screen.

*Yes Mplayer itself is installed, and it's listed in adept manager
            Attached Files

Comment

In the aboutlugins section of ForeFox you have in the above screen shot, just after RealPlayer, you should have an entry reading as "Windows Media Player Plugin". Does that show up? If not, go to kmenu --> System --> Adept Manager. Run that and in the search bar, type mplayer. What is listed there.

Comment

Yeah i have Windows Media Player listed after Realplayer and in adept manager i have mplayer and the firefox plugin both installed.
                Check the pics i attached (i had to lower the resolution a little so i could upload them to this forum)
                Attached Files

Comment

Have you installed the package "w32codecs"? I can't remember if it's in the main repos or if it's in Medibuntu; either way having the latter added to your sources.list is definitely a good thing!

Comment

OK. I re-examined your first screen shot. Tiny . Anyway, it actually appears to be trying to Download that to play locally or something instead of embedded in the web page. The second option stated use this application. Try typing mplayer there and see if it will at least open it up and play. I can't say for sure why it is downloading instead of embedded. Maybe that is the way that website is designed. Don't know, but instead of telling it to use a particular plugin, tell it to use this application and specify mplayer.

Comment

Ok, i have no idea what's going on now. First off, i checked for W32 codecs and yeah i have them. I decided to uninstall VLC and specified the second option on the file type handling screen to mplayer manually, which wasn't too difficult, and i got it to actually try to open up the files in the browser, or at least a popup browser windows which is the way it's supposed to be, but now all it does is try to log onto the stream and stops before it plays the video. Even when i try to play it manually it just refuses, and stops every time.

confused??

Comment

You might want to think about using an extension called MediaPlayerConnectivity (available at addons.mozilla.org

This will typically enable you to avoid the mishaps associated with plugins by running the application that plays the video independently.

Comment

Originally posted by randcoop
                          You might want to think about using an extension called MediaPlayerConnectivity (available at addons.mozilla.org

This will typically enable you to avoid the mishaps associated with plugins by running the application that plays the video independently.
                          Perfect, thanks dude. Well almost perfect, it'll play content from one site but not from another, but that's good enough for me, it works with the one i use more.

Comment

What's the site that's not working? Did you try listing the videos that MediaPlayerConnectivity finds there and selecting just the one you want?

Comment

Working...
                            X