This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless stops working randomly

The wireless on my laptop (dell vostro 1500 - Gutsy 7.10) chooses to stop randomly, or i haven't been able to identify why it shuts down. It still recognizes the wireless and indicates the signal strength but is not able to connect to it. If i add an ethernet port at this moment, it starts working just fine. I tried quitting Knetwork manager, but i wasn't able to turn it on again (i don't know why, i was using alt+space) Restarting the laptop does re-set it works just fine, re-starting is a character of you-know-who and one of the reasons i shifted to Linux.

Well, yeah thats pretty much it..help

Re: Wireless stops working randomly

Has anyone else faced this issue?

i'm just curious..

Comment

I have this very problem. It seems that the wireless cuts out randomly and I have to restart or wait for a while before I am able to connect to my home wireless network again. What is up?

Comment

I don't know, it might have something to do with the model of the laptop you're working on..

It's a blasphemous thing to say, but because of a couple of reasons i've actually slowly started using more windows..

Comment

What does your /etc/network/interfaces file look like?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Code:
            auto lo
            iface lo inet loopback
            ^ that

Comment

Do you know what type/manufacturer of ethernet card you have?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

i also had this very issue, what i found was i had the wrong driver installed, if you have used the 'restricted driver' installation, just double check that your wireless card matches the driver. i have an HP nx6325 and gutsy said the driver was a broadcom 43xx type, when it was actually a Dell mini pci type 1390.
                Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

I don't know, but i can probably check which card i have in the Dell invoice, unfortunately, i'm not home at the moment.

If i do have the wrong drivers installed, how do i know? and how do i check which drivers i have installed

thanks for the replies

Comment

Just go to K>System>Konsole and type

lspci

and look for your network card.

Comment

I've had the same problem here as well. I have not found a permanent solution yet but I can make the wireless connection begin working again by going into my Network Settings (Admin) and disabling the re-enabling my wireless connection. I guess it sort of toggles something in program. Everything works fine afterwards. It is random and happens at least once or twice per week.

lspci
                      00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82815 815 Chipset Host Bridge and Memory Controller Hub (rev 04)
                      00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82815 815 Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 04)
                      00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 11)
                      00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 11)
                      00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 Controller (rev 11)
                      00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 11)
                      00:1f.4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 11)
                      00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 11)
                      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT] (rev 15)
                      02:0b.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905 100BaseTX [Boomerang]
                      02:0d.0 Modem: PCTel Inc HSP MicroModem 56 (rev 02)
                      02:0f.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

i susgest doing a 'google' for wicd, which is a wired and wireless network manager, it kills off knetworkmanager and uses profiles for each connection (which is really good anyway)
                        Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

By any chance have you selected TKIP? Every time I've tried to use TKIP (with 802.11g) it drops out randomly. (Even in windows) Same with 4 or 5 friends. If you have selected TKIP, try switching to AES.

wmrobins

Comment

Working...
                          X