This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE4 rc2

I downloaded the Live CD. It doesn't seem to look and feel they way everyone else has described or shown is screen shots. Is that Live CD a limited view? I liked what I saw but nothing really worked to well

Comment

AFAIK the Live-CDs give you a basic installation of KDE4 with some apps and some games, though no full productivity suit.

If your desktop looks different than these screeshots, KDE4 just doesn't work properly for you yet.

But don't worry. KDE4 RC1 was the most broken release I tried on my laptop and RC2 is the best yet. So your situation will likely improve.

Comment

as others:
        *followed instructions given here: http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-rc2.php
        *none of the kde4 applications installed this way will work inside kde3, except klipper (is it necessary to place them in kmenu)
        *trying to log in to kde4 from kdm will show black screen for a few seconds and take me back to kdm log in screen... sigh -- further investigation revealed that this time kde4 is supposed share "$HOME/.kde" with kde3 or this is yet another bug; adding "export KDEHOME=~/.kde4" to "/usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde" solved the kde4 log in issue
        *finally inside kde4 session I was honoured to experience the ultimate frustration "the new kmenu" (there is no reason whatsoever why I should prefer it over the kde3 menu, navigating is very slow, usage feels counterintuitive and cumbersome -- luckily there will be alternatives)
        *trying to configure desktop effects (bilinear/trilinear filtering part) made desktop unresponsive, kde4 was pretty much frozen; had to restartX
        *konqueror refused to run (too bad I couldn't experience "Webkit engine")
        *the panel does waste too much screen space on 1280x800 resolution [I expect it to be configurable in the future so I can make it 20pixels high (btw in kde3 minimal is 24 for some odd reason) and stretch it entirely from left side of screen to the right]

In conclusion I'm frustrated and depressed of nonworking bug ridden kubuntu kde4 packages; may as well start to look for other Debian derivatives that use kde

#edit: webkit seems to be only livecd thing; konqueror actually does work, if you click on the right link in the menu (not the one with "kde4" in it); but still I was expecting better quality from rc2 kde4 kubuntu packages

Comment

I was able to install KDE4 without issue and log into a full kde4 session. However none of the KDE4 applications will load and any program that requires a root password will not accept my root password. if I open a terminal window and run a sudo command it will accept my password without issue. Also, in KDE3 my file search functions seem to be non existant

Comment

Originally posted by Damastus
            my root password
            You don't use the root password, you use your password.
            By default, root doesn't have a password set.
            For external use only.

Comment

The same password I use in KDE3 to open the add/remove package utility does not work in KDE4. I am also still completely lost on how to edit the graphics properties namely the resolution and such

Comment

Originally posted by Damastus
                I am also still completely lost on how to edit the graphics properties namely the resolution and such
                You can't edit those. At least not graphically, since systemsettings is not complete yet. Maybe some config-files in ~/.KDE4 would do the trick, but I couldn't find out which files to edit and (more importantly) which parameters to set. *grumble*

Comment

I am attempting to install KDE 4 on a fresh install of Gutsy Gibbon and am getting this error

Code:
                  roman@roman-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get -f install kdebase-workspace kdebase-runtime kdebase-kde4
                  [sudo] password for roman:
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
                  The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                   kdebase-kde4: Depends: dolphin-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                          Depends: kappfinder-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                          Depends: kdebase-bin-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                          Depends: kdebase-data-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                          Depends: kdebase-kio-plugins-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                          Depends: kdepasswd-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                          Depends: kfind-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                          Depends: knetattach-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                          Depends: konqueror-nsplugins-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                          Depends: konqueror-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                          Depends: konsole-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                          Depends: kwrite-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                          Depends: libkonq5 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                   kdebase-runtime: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu4~gutsy1~ppa2 is to be installed
                   kdebase-runtime-bin: Depends: kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 (= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1) but it is not going to be installed
                   kdebase-workspace: Depends: kdebase-workspace-bin (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu8~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu7~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                            Depends: kdebase-workspace-data (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu8~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu7~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                            Depends: klipper-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu8~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu7~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                            Depends: ksysguard-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu8~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu7~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                            Depends: kwin-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu8~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu7~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                            Depends: systemsettings-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu8~gutsy1~ppa1) but 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu7~gutsy1~ppa1 is to be installed
                  E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
                  I tried sudo apt-get -f install and get
                  Code:
                  roman@roman-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  Correcting dependencies... Done
                  The following extra packages will be installed:
                   kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4
                  The following NEW packages will be installed:
                   kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4
                  0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 131 not upgraded.
                  46 not fully installed or removed.
                  Need to get 0B/60.2kB of archives.
                  After unpacking 283kB of additional disk space will be used.
                  Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
                  WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
                   kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4
                  Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
                  (Reading database ... 95027 files and directories currently installed.)
                  Unpacking kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 (from .../kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4_4%3a3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1_all.deb) ...
                  dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4_4%3a3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1_all.deb (--unpack):
                   trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/kwriteconfig', which is also in package kdebase-bin
                  Errors were encountered while processing:
                   /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4_4%3a3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1_all.deb
                  E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
                  This is also keeping me from being able to install anything else.
                  Please help.
                  Roman

Comment

Originally posted by roman5x3
                    I am attempting to install KDE 4 on a fresh install of Gutsy Gibbon and am getting this error
                    what happens if you attempt to run "sudo dpkg --configure -a" in konsole?

Comment

In response to:
                      Originally posted by klwerfayt
                      what happens if you attempt to run "sudo dpkg --configure -a" in konsole?
                      Code:
                      sudo dpkg --configure -a
                      gives me
                      Code:
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdebase-runtime-bin:
                       kdebase-runtime-bin depends on kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 (= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1); however:
                       Package kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 is not installed.
                      dpkg: error processing kdebase-runtime-bin (--configure):
                       dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kappfinder-kde4:
                       kappfinder-kde4 depends on kdebase-runtime-bin; however:
                       Package kdebase-runtime-bin is not configured yet.
                      dpkg: error processing kappfinder-kde4 (--configure):
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kfind-kde4:
                       kfind-kde4 depends on kdebase-runtime-bin; however:
                      dpkg: error processing kfind-kde4 (--configure):
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdebase-kde4:
                       kdebase-kde4 depends on kappfinder-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1); however:
                       Package kappfinder-kde4 is not configured yet.
                       kdebase-kde4 depends on kfind-kde4 (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1); however:
                       Package kfind-kde4 is not configured yet.
                      dpkg: error processing kdebase-kde4 (--configure):
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kwrite-kde4:
                       kwrite-kde4 depends on kdebase-runtime-bin; however:
                      dpkg: error processing kwrite-kde4 (--configure):
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdepasswd-kde4:
                       kdepasswd-kde4 depends on kdebase-runtime-bin; however:
                      dpkg: error processing kdepasswd-kde4 (--configure):
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libkonq5:
                       libkonq5 depends on kdebase-runtime-bin; however:
                      dpkg: error processing libkonq5 (--configure):
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdebase-runtime:
                       kdebase-runtime depends on kdebase-runtime-bin (>= 4:3.97.0-1ubuntu5~gutsy1~ppa1); however:
                      dpkg: error processing kdebase-runtime (--configure):
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of konqueror-nsplugins-kde4:
                       konqueror-nsplugins-kde4 depends on kdebase-runtime-bin; however:
                      dpkg: error processing konqueror-nsplugins-kde4 (--configure):
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of dolphin-kde4:
                       dolphin-kde4 depends on kdebase-runtime-bin; however:
                       dolphin-kde4 depends on libkonq5; however:
                       Package libkonq5 is not configured yet.
                      dpkg: error processing dolphin-kde4 (--configure):
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of konqueror-kde4:
                       konqueror-kde4 depends on kdebase-runtime-bin; however:
                       konqueror-kde4 depends on libkonq5; however:
                      dpkg: error processing konqueror-kde4 (--configure):
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdebase-bin-kde4:
                       kdebase-bin-kde4 depends on kdebase-runtime-bin; however:
                       kdebase-bin-kde4 depends on libkonq5; however:
                      dpkg: error processing kdebase-bin-kde4 (--configure):
                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of konsole-kde4:
                       konsole-kde4 depends on kdebase-runtime-bin; however:
                      dpkg: error processing konsole-kde4 (--configure):
                      Errors were encountered while processing:
                       kdebase-runtime-bin
                       kappfinder-kde4
                       kfind-kde4
                       kdebase-kde4
                       kwrite-kde4
                       kdepasswd-kde4
                       libkonq5
                       kdebase-runtime
                       konqueror-nsplugins-kde4
                       dolphin-kde4
                       konqueror-kde4
                       kdebase-bin-kde4
                       konsole-kde4

Comment

Code:
                        sudo dpkg --configure -a
                        gives me
                        Code:
                        dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdebase-runtime-bin: ....
                        .... konsole-kde4
                        I'm not really experienced with apt dependency issues (since I haven't gotten them so far) -- describe how you got into this mess more precisely and pray that someone who actually knows a thing or two about apt will notice you

Comment

Try "sudo apt-get install kdebase-workspace kdebase-runtime kdebase-kde4". That's your original command, minus the -f.
                          By the way, would you mind not posting such long quotes/codes? And could you snip them from your posts? Makes it very hard to read...
                          For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                            Try "sudo apt-get install kdebase-workspace kdebase-runtime kdebase-kde4". That's your original command, minus the -f.
                            By the way, would you mind not posting such long quotes/codes? And could you snip them from your posts? Makes it very hard to read...
                            ok done - this is a bit offtopic but can you make "code" compact in these forums?

Comment

I have KDE4 RC2 up and running but have a weird problem. After a couple of days of using KDE4 RC2 the bottom taskbar/panel simply disappeared and I can't get it back. I now have to go in and add the application widget to get to my application menu as well as add the taskbar widget to see some of my active programs. Anyone have this problem and/or know how to fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by myoungf1
                                I have KDE4 RC2 up and running but have a weird problem. After a couple of days of using KDE4 RC2 the bottom taskbar/panel simply disappeared and I can't get it back. I now have to go in and add the application widget to get to my application menu as well as add the taskbar widget to see some of my active programs. Anyone have this problem and/or know how to fix this?
                                do you use ~/.kde4 or share it with ~/.kde? (see if you got "export KDEHOME=~/.kde4" in /usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde ... if not then you share the settings with ~/.kde)

Comment

Working...
                                X