X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing wine installs to /root/.wine and to /home/jean/.wine trouble

My next question

I am using ubuntu server and installed kubuntu desktop over it.
    When I install wine, it installs a copy in /root/.wine as well as in /home/jean/.wine

This messes things up because when I install mirc, it does not remember it's settings, everytime I start mirc I get the dialog for filling in my nick etc.

Thanks for your help.
    Jean.
    Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Re: installing wine installs to /root/.wine and to /home/jean/.wine trouble

I hope you are not running wine with sudo. It sounds like this is the case as your problem sounds like a permissions problem.

The 2 '.wine' directories are (more or less) just a windows-like file structure and configuration/registry bits for the wine environment. Each user on a machine will have its own '.wine' folder and the actual software bits are in other places. If you run wine with sudo, it can change the permissions of that folder so that you cannot write to it as the normal user, and hence your mirc settings do not get saved. Aside from that, running wine with sudo is potentially dangerous as it gives any running windows program full access to your system The inherent instability of wine alone creates problems aside from the obvious issues of virii and malware/etc.

Now, to fix this problem, you will want to delete your .wine directories and basically start from scratch. You may need to use sudo to delete these folders;
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /home/jean/.wine 
    sudo rm -rf /root/.wine
    reinstalling mirc will automatically recreate a fresh wine setup for you. and heck why not try out Konversation (already installed in kubuntu) for your irc, or maybe Xchat (more silly scripts and addons for this one )?

Comment

Re: installing wine installs to /root/.wine and to /home/jean/.wine trouble

Thanks for the answer, I understand.
      I'm gonna follow your advice and reinstall wine once again.

Only I will continue with mirc. Konversation I liked best from all the linux clients but it misses too much features that I came to rely on, like aliases, configuring shortcut keys, etc.

Greets, Jean.

Originally posted by claydoh
      I hope you are not running wine with sudo. It sounds like this is the case as your problem sounds like a permissions problem.
      Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Comment

Working...
      X