This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size/resolution related problem

I have tried both Ubuntu and Kubuntu since the version 7.10 came out and I'm really impressed. Still, there is an issue that no one has been able to help me with and if not, I have to stick to other options

The problem is that I have a Latitude X1, a laptop with a 12,1" screen running in 1280x768. When using this resolution in gnome or kde (ubuntu or kubuntu 7.10) everything looks so big that it is not possible to use.

Here are two examples of how it looks using kubuntu..
    http://user.it.uu.se/~hajo7895/screens/snapshot1.png
    http://user.it.uu.se/~hajo7895/screens/snapshot2.png

And this is XP, using the same resolution on the same computer..
    http://user.it.uu.se/~hajo7895/screens/snapshot3.png

I don't know if you get the feeling that I get when using the different systems, but I don't enjoy working in either kde or gnome on my laptop unfortunately. I can change the size of the bottom menu of course, but that isn't nearly enough. Is there any way to "zoom out" or changing the display to make it more pleasent?

As mentioned, I'm very impressed with the latest ubuntu release and I want to support it, on both my laptop and my desktop computer. But the way it looks now, that's not gonna happen. Are there any solutions to my problem or am I the only one who considers it a problem?

edit: I'm using the maximum resolution on the screens.

Re: Size/resolution related problem

Use a higher resolution.

Back up /etc/X11/xorg.conf and execute "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", choosing the proper resolutions.
    For external use only.

Comment

But my screen supports up to 1280x768 so if a increase it even more, will that be a good way of doing it?

As long as I use the correct ratio I guess that round things might still look round but I will use a resolution with more pixels then the screen has. That might not give the greatest result.. I can at least try to see what happens. Thanks..

Comment

A strange problem, strange in the sense that I don't really see it.

Looking at the sharp lines in the two KDE screenshots It's clear you use the correct settings for your screen, after all these pictures report 1280 x 768 pixels as their size.

So the problem may lie more in your perception of the windows decoration in use.
        My advise, get into the K-menu/ System/appearance and do some experiments with for example the fond size and maybe a different theme until you get what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by bnei
          But my screen supports up to 1280x768 so if a increase it even more, will that be a good way of doing it?

As long as I use the correct ratio I guess that round things might still look round but I will use a resolution with more pixels then the screen has. That might not give the greatest result.. I can at least try to see what happens. Thanks..
          Run Command -> enter
          Code:
          kdesu kate.
          give password.

In Kate, open:

Code:
          /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
          Locate these lines:

Code:
          ServerCmd=/usr/bin/X -br 
          # Additional arguments for the X-servers for local sessions.
          # This string is subject to word splitting.
          # Default is ""
          ServerArgsLocal= -nolisten tcp
          Change so it looks like this:

Code:
          ServerCmd=/usr/bin/X -br -dpi 76
          # Additional arguments for the X-servers for local sessions.
          # This string is subject to word splitting.
          # Default is ""
          ServerArgsLocal= -dpi 76 -nolisten tcp
          You have to choose your own dpi. I normally use 72 on this 19" 1600x1200 monitor (76 for a while because I need bigger letters due to some eye problems.)

This way you can fine tune the desktop so that you get exactly the right size letters in word processing etc.

(Tell me what you choose, I have a small laptop that I will be changing this way.)

Comment

That is what I was looking for! Thank you.

I'm trying with 70 dpi and it is a lot better.

Compare;
            http://user.it.uu.se/~hajo7895/screens/snapshot1.png

With:
            http://user.it.uu.se/~hajo7895/screens/snapshot4.png

I will continue using kubuntu now. Once again, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by bnei
              That is what I was looking for! Thank you.

I'm trying with 70 dpi and it is a lot better.

Great! I'll do that on my laptop too.

Comment

Working...
              X