Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Flash only sometimes work with Firefox in Gutsy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does Flash only sometimes work with Firefox in Gutsy?

I have installed Flash Player 9 at least twice, once with Adept and once using the method of http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flash. (Btw, how do I put a link into one of these posts without the URL's showing?) Following that method, I have looked at the Rhode Island School of Design and can see all the moving pictures, so I suppose Flash works. But on other sites it doesn't. For instance, on the IHT site, the trailer for the new movie "The golden compass" at http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/2905...mpass/trailers it tells me to install the latest version of Adobe Flash. Also, on the movie's own web site, I have the feeling I'm seeing a subset of the pictures.

On their installation page, Adobe says to check Help > About Plug-ins. My Firefox, version 2.0.0.8, has no such thing. There is a Tools > Add-ons window, which shows no extensions, Firefox default theme and the english language pack.

What am I missing here? Help, please.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Why does Flash only sometimes work with Firefox in Gutsy?

I can't help with the Flash problem, but to embed a link without showing the address, enclose it thus:
    {url=http://www.zyra.org.uk/os-air.htm}If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines...{/url} - using square [ ] *not curly* { } brackets.
    It will look like this: If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines...

Edited to add:
    Thinking back to how i finally got Flash to work - after following assorted instructions from Mozilla.org, Adobe, also here and elsewhere, i searched Adept for everything which mentioned Flash, Mozilla, or Firefox, installed them all.... and since then it's worked flawlessly.
    Good luck.

In Firefox, select Tools-> Addons-> at the top left of the box which appears are "Extensions" and "Themes", and at the bottom right is a link which says: "Get extensions". Click on it.

Comment

My personal method for installing flash on a new kubuntu:
      Use firefox/kubuntu to go to a page containing flash (eg any bands myspace (youtube is useless for this as its too smart for its own good)). You will be prompted to install flash. Install. Done.

Comment

I checked aboutlugins and it saw Flash, but it still didn't work in some cases (still the Golden Compass webpage). So I used Adept to delete both versions (Don't know why I had both) and erased by hand the plugin stuff in /usr/lib/mozilla. I tried using the tar.gz from Adobe to reinstall it, but every time I entered the pathname /usr/lib/mozilla, it repeated that I should enter a valid pathname. That is a valid pathname, dammit!

So then I did what marshallbanana suggested, went to the Rhode Island School of Design page, which now didn't work any more, any clicked on "Install plugin". All works fine now.

Comprenne qui pourra! (Let he who may understand do so...))

Thanks to all!
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

/usr/lib/mozilla was NOT the valid path when I installed flash 9 this morning. The valid path (so all users can access flash 9) was usr/local/swiftweasel. For you it might be usr/local/mozilla or usr/local/firefox. I just posted this in case you run into more trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by joneall
            So then I did what marshallbanana suggested, went to the Rhode Island School of Design page, which now didn't work any more, any clicked on "Install plugin". All works fine now.
            and yet people complain that it is to hard to install flash on linux. How much easier can it be that "you don't have flash, click yes to install", "yes".

Comment

Originally posted by marshallbanana
              and yet people complain that it is to hard to install flash on linux. How much easier can it be that "you don't have flash, click yes to install", "yes".
              But it doesn't work for everyone, i "Install[ed] missing plugin" several times on different sites.
              Maybe it works well for those with standard (i.e. Windows compliant) boxes, but many of us have 8) totally unique 8) machines.... i.e. home-made ...... by a shoe-maker

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
                but many of us have 8) totally unique 8) machines.... i.e. home-made ...... by a shoe-maker
                That also makes tea!
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  Originally posted by aged hippy
                  but many of us have 8) totally unique 8) machines.... i.e. home-made ...... by a shoe-maker
                  That also makes tea!

The reference to a "shoe-maker" - for those who may not have got it - is implying that some people's boxes are cobbled together.

... speaking personally, that is.

Comment

Working...
                  X