This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Msttcorefonts

I have a small but irritating problem that I cannot solve.

Synaptic shows that msttcorefonts is installed, but it doesn't seem to be. When I try dpkg, apt,adept or synaptic with instructions like clean, remove, purge they first try to DOWNLOAD msttcorefonts and report an error: E: msttcorefonts: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

More fully it says:
    Removing msttcorefonts ...
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Verdana.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial_Italic.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial_Bold_Italic.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Comic_Sans_MS_Bold.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Andale_Mono.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Times_New_Roman_Bold.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Georgia.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New_Bold.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Trebuchet_MS_Bold_Italic.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Times_New_Roman_Italic.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Comic_Sans_MS.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Trebuchet_MS_Italic.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Times_New_Roman.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Trebuchet_MS.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Georgia_Bold.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Verdana_Italic.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial_Bold.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New_Bold_Italic.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Georgia_Bold_Italic.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Verdana_Bold_Italic.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Webdings.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial_Black.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New_Italic.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Times_New_Roman_Bold_Italic.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Trebuchet_MS_Bold.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Impact.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Verdana_Bold.ttf: not registered.
    W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Georgia_Italic.ttf: not registered.
    dpkg: error processing msttcorefonts (--purge):
    subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

These fonts were provided by Microsoft "in the interest of cross-
    platform compatibility". This is no longer the case, but they are
    still available from third parties.

You are free to download these fonts and use them for your own use,
    but you may not redistribute them in modified form, including changes
    to the file name or packaging format.

--21:00:16-- http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc...s/andale32.exe
    => `andale32.exe'
    Resolving kent.dl.sourceforge.net... 212.219.56.167
    Connecting to kent.dl.sourceforge.net|212.219.56.167|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 198,384 (194K) [application/octet-stream]

100%[====================================>] 198,384 73.48K/s

21:00:24 (73.38 KB/s) - `andale32.exe' saved [198384/198384]

Extracting cabinet: andale32.exe
    extracting fontinst.inf
    extracting andale.inf
    extracting fontinst.exe
    extracting AndaleMo.TTF
    extracting ADVPACK.DLL
    extracting W95INF32.DLL
    extracting W95INF16.DLL

All done, no errors.
    comic32.exe: No such file or directory

All done, errors in processing 1 file(s)
    dpkg: error while cleaning up:
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    msttcorefonts
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

This happens every time I install an app and it is becoming a little tedious.

A solution would be much appreciated.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Re: Msttcorefonts

Originally posted by arochester

--21:00:16-- http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc...s/andale32.exe
    => `andale32.exe'
    Resolving kent.dl.sourceforge.net... 212.219.56.167
    Connecting to kent.dl.sourceforge.net|212.219.56.167|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 198,384 (194K) [application/octet-stream]

100%[====================================>] 198,384 73.48K/s

21:00:24 (73.38 KB/s) - `andale32.exe' saved [198384/198384]

Extracting cabinet: andale32.exe
    extracting fontinst.inf
    extracting andale.inf
    extracting fontinst.exe
    extracting AndaleMo.TTF
    extracting ADVPACK.DLL
    extracting W95INF32.DLL
    extracting W95INF16.DLL

All done, no errors.
    comic32.exe: No such file or directory

All done, errors in processing 1 file(s)
    dpkg: error while cleaning up:
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    msttcorefonts
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

This happens every time I install an app and it is becoming a little tedious.

A solution would be much appreciated.
    Well, no solution, but how about a better problem definition? Those are DOS/Windows files! You do NOT want to try to download this:

http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc...s/andale32.exe

to your Linux system. So if that is in your /etc/apt/sources.list, you need to get it off the list.

Hope this leads to a better solution .... :P

Comment

Actually, msttcorefonts is a package that provides the Microsoft fonts for Linux.

There's probably an underlying problem, but just for the heck of it, fire up Konsole and execute "sudo dpkg --configure -a".
      For external use only.

Comment

Hi,

Try this thread here (I think you need the 5th page).

I had problems with msttcorefonts yesterday and this solved it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...refonts&page=5

Hope it helps.

Comment

@hoppy. Thanks I have tried this fix before. When I checked the short line in the file was in place.

@SheeEttin. Thanks.I have tried this before. There was a time, not long ago, when I seemed unable to use Synaptic regularly without running it in the terminal first.

The silly thing is my desktop is dual booted, not that I very often use Windows (except perhaps to copy vinyl and put in CD markers) and I just had to mount Windows and copy across my fonts - without installing mcttcorefonts.

The problem persists...
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin

Actually, msttcorefonts is a package that provides the Microsoft fonts for Linux.
            @SheeEtting, are you saying the file "andale32.exe" will execute on a Linux system?? I kinda don't think so! That's the file that his URL is pointing to. It needs to be either a .deb or a .rpm that he can convert to a .deb, right? So that is a bogus URL to use on a *buntu system for package installation (unless it's going to be run under Wine, maybe). So the problem is the source. I looked at it and there are some .rpm files (for Red Hat Linuces) but nothing for Debian.

I would say enable the Medibuntu repository, and you might have better luck getting the msttcorefonts package there.

Comment

Or, download one of the .rpm packages that are on http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts and use alien to convert to a .deb package for installation?
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, but which of those .rpms would he need? :P That's why I pointed him to Medibuntu -- it shows up as a single package that way.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  That's why I pointed him to Medibuntu -- it shows up as a single package that way.
                  Duhh! :P msttcorefonts is available in Adept Manager (having medibuntu repository and pgp key added of course). Where's my cane! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    @SheeEtting, are you saying the file "andale32.exe" will execute on a Linux system??
                    I know that won't work.
                    I have that package installed, and it worked fine here. Apparently, it does some funky stuff with CABs or something...
                    For external use only.

Comment

Strange news. Very strange news. After weeks and weeks and weeks I have done it.

I don't know why it has happened now!!! Has somebody fixed something

In Synaptic I tried to remove (again!) and completely remove (again!). Both failed.

In e17 I told Synaptic to download the package only - and not install - msttcorefonts 1.8.

In Kubuntu again I told Kpackage to install.

It worked.

It may interest dibl to know about "Installing Vista Fonts in Ubuntu " in Ubuntu Blog on http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/

Thank you dibl, SheeEttin, hoppy and Snowhog. Thank you for your interest and attempted help. (On Ubuntuforums a few weeks ago I got no reply at all.)

Comment

Originally posted by arochester

It may interest dibl to know about "Installing Vista Fonts in Ubuntu " in Ubuntu Blog on http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/
                        Hey, that IS interesting -- thanks!

I might just have to install it to see how I like it!

Comment

Just went to Adept Updater. Surprise, surprise - it was msttcorefonts!

Comment

arochester -

You are quite welcome. I won't put down our fellow 'Ubuntians' but will agree with you, in that I think we 'Kubuntians' are a friendlier, more helpful branch of the family Linuxia.

Comment

Working...
                            X