X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disable automount hot-plug USBs?

Disable automount hot-plug USBs?

For example, to prevent having your flash drive automounted when you hot-plug it while in a Kubuntu session. And then, at any time, be able to un-do the "disable automount."

How do you do this in Gutsy? Feisty? I've clicked on every button I can find behind the K-Menu button. Maybe I stayed up too late or got up too early.

In Ubuntu, it is:
    System -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and Media: Storage tab
    Disable (untick) the following:
    Mount removable drives when hot-plugged
    Mount removable media when inserted
    Browse removable media when inserted

(and, at any time, be able to reverse this from the same menu)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Re: Disable automount hot-plug USBs?

not sure.
    not used to using gui.
    still pretty much hooked to my tty.
    anyway...

right click on the icon that pops up when you hook up your media
    then click "properties"
    then click "mounting"
    you should now find a "mount automatically" check box.

hopefully this is what you're looking for.
    and hopefully it works...

cheers
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Don't forget our friend kcontrol from Alt+F2. kcontrol shows certain apps that aren't available through K Menu | System Settings.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, you guys, but doesn't seem to be what I was looking for. Both tips were useful, though, for other things.

Problem is in GParted, as an example. If you're working on a flash drive, the darned thing keeps getting auto-mounted, click Cancel, and often you have to unmount it in GParted, etc. I've worked around it today, but it's a pain. I usually use GParted Live CD exactly for that reason.

BTW, properties shows a flash drive unchecked under automount, yet it automounts. Besides, that might not apply to hot-plugging anyway.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X